cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hesham_KADOSA
Journeyman III

computer keeps rebooting while playing games

I recently installed a new Powercolor rx 7900 xt, and the computer keeps rebooting while playing games. It doesn't happen in lower end games like Rainworld, but in Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resident Evil Village, and other games of the same level, my computer will randomly reboot. It doesn't show any error message, it actually reboots.

Card temperature: 45 - 55

Processor temperature: 40 - 65

if im lower the GPU clock to::2300mhz. computer is stable after lowering the GPU clock to 2300mhz.

if im resetting the GPU clock to default, problems back

Specifications: GPU: powercolor rx 7900 xt CPU: Intel i7-10700K Motherboard: z490 aorus elite ac.. 48gb ram.. Power supply : AORUS P850W 80+ GOLD Modular.

0 Likes
3 Solutions

Put your Powercolor GPU card back to default settings and download and run OCCT CPU, GPU, & PSU tests and see if it passes all three without shutting down.

When a PC shuts down by itself without pressing anything normal is due to:

1- Overheating issues

2- Over/Under Clocking issue

3- Power Issues - weak or defective PSU

4- Defective hardware

5- Driver issues - out-dated, incompatible, corrupt, conflicts, etc.

6- Incompatible hardware/software

7- Misconfiguration settings for the GPU card

Those are just some that comes out on top of my head.

EDIT: Thanks @InvadersMustDie1131 I forgot one of the most important factors which is as you mentioned Power issues.

View solution in original post

if you have the possibility to try a 1000w PSU, give it a try. Could be some kind of energy spikes. I had the same problem on my 6900xt with a 850w psu. 

BartPP
Adept I

Hi 4 all Red Team OC maniacs

hmm might be a voltage drop on some critical stress operations if cannot hold minimal needed values might big issue and better check it good.
if you are able to connect multimeter on voltage measuring external device at 12VDC 5VDC and at time save info in log text file all data from working (1sec refreshing set) PC when crashing than we can make better diagnose analyze what butter your PC.MS log files are for shi...t analyzing not need so many info when we got clue where is bug.

I have fried out 4 banks of DDR3 memory on prev. PC of little bit voltage drop below 1,48V of nom 1,51V what is very critical for stable work specially at memory when they was OC few MHz raised. PWR supp. make some time lazy supply and was enough to make few reboot times and they not take it shock peak hits them hard. 

now i have 1kW PWR Gold series more free amperes when wish again try to boost up little bit.

Im using "Quick CPU' soft for monitoring to log file each sec typical parameters if needed when going to be unstable, beeter not to pass by wichout closer look on it.
look like this as for tray short info if not known:BartPP_0-1699334817676.png 

probably your gpu need a little bit more Wats and it might be this little bit that PWR cannot provide in full load need.
my new ryzen9 regard extra 4pin ATX 12V+ on MB to be plugged with 8-pin already fitted. other way make CPU go up for 120°C if clock boosted and go up to 5,5GHz MB cut off all power all devices saftey border no fire on go
just a sec longer wichout saftey defined and cables get real fire at shock 12+ to ground also was a freak fun 8-]  "Firestarter"  - let it burn 8-) but OS was still working  what a magic. 

sometimes even very good pwr supply have a bad day and capacitiors may wish to take free off all 4 ever bad quality from base manuf. it happens. but make nasty damages on eleectonic hardawre. 
 try to mausere thsoe values maybe it get ssome more clearly where this pokeobug hidden.
BR 
and go to hell make fire burn i prefer higher temps  
100% No Mistaques - Exist Only If 0% Work Is Done

3 Replies

Put your Powercolor GPU card back to default settings and download and run OCCT CPU, GPU, & PSU tests and see if it passes all three without shutting down.

When a PC shuts down by itself without pressing anything normal is due to:

1- Overheating issues

2- Over/Under Clocking issue

3- Power Issues - weak or defective PSU

4- Defective hardware

5- Driver issues - out-dated, incompatible, corrupt, conflicts, etc.

6- Incompatible hardware/software

7- Misconfiguration settings for the GPU card

Those are just some that comes out on top of my head.

EDIT: Thanks @InvadersMustDie1131 I forgot one of the most important factors which is as you mentioned Power issues.

if you have the possibility to try a 1000w PSU, give it a try. Could be some kind of energy spikes. I had the same problem on my 6900xt with a 850w psu. 

BartPP
Adept I

Hi 4 all Red Team OC maniacs

hmm might be a voltage drop on some critical stress operations if cannot hold minimal needed values might big issue and better check it good.
if you are able to connect multimeter on voltage measuring external device at 12VDC 5VDC and at time save info in log text file all data from working (1sec refreshing set) PC when crashing than we can make better diagnose analyze what butter your PC.MS log files are for shi...t analyzing not need so many info when we got clue where is bug.

I have fried out 4 banks of DDR3 memory on prev. PC of little bit voltage drop below 1,48V of nom 1,51V what is very critical for stable work specially at memory when they was OC few MHz raised. PWR supp. make some time lazy supply and was enough to make few reboot times and they not take it shock peak hits them hard. 

now i have 1kW PWR Gold series more free amperes when wish again try to boost up little bit.

Im using "Quick CPU' soft for monitoring to log file each sec typical parameters if needed when going to be unstable, beeter not to pass by wichout closer look on it.
look like this as for tray short info if not known:BartPP_0-1699334817676.png 

probably your gpu need a little bit more Wats and it might be this little bit that PWR cannot provide in full load need.
my new ryzen9 regard extra 4pin ATX 12V+ on MB to be plugged with 8-pin already fitted. other way make CPU go up for 120°C if clock boosted and go up to 5,5GHz MB cut off all power all devices saftey border no fire on go
just a sec longer wichout saftey defined and cables get real fire at shock 12+ to ground also was a freak fun 8-]  "Firestarter"  - let it burn 8-) but OS was still working  what a magic. 

sometimes even very good pwr supply have a bad day and capacitiors may wish to take free off all 4 ever bad quality from base manuf. it happens. but make nasty damages on eleectonic hardawre. 
 try to mausere thsoe values maybe it get ssome more clearly where this pokeobug hidden.
BR 
and go to hell make fire burn i prefer higher temps  
100% No Mistaques - Exist Only If 0% Work Is Done