cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vchov
Journeyman III

Clearance for RX 6800 XT airflow

Hi, I purchased an AMD RX 6800 XT directly from AMD and am going to use a PCIe 4.0 riser card, which mounts the card at a 90 degree angle, such that the fans face upwards towards the panel used to close my horizontal computer chassis (Sliger CX3171a XL). That panel doesn't have cutouts for airflow because air is intended to go in from the front of the case and out the back.

How much clearance do I need between the fans and the side panel so that it doesn't negatively impact the GPU's cooling? Moreover, how much clearance should there be for the opposite side of the GPU (the backplate)?

I only have three cutouts on the case to mount PCI cards, and have the GPU mounted on the lowest two cutouts to increase room for the fans, but now there's very little room between the backplate and the motherboard (and therefore the riser card's cable). If I can raise the card up one slot, I can better prevent the riser cable from making contact with the backplate (thereby preventing the riser cable from overheating).

Thanks for the help!

0 Replies