cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

y0u
Journeyman III

Center fan on high speed (90%-93%, whilst other fans at normal speed) (ASUS ROG STRIX RX 6700 XT)

Hi,

Bought the mentioned GPU few days ago. First day of playing, works like a charm. After that, I noticed loud noice whenever fans turn on. Good thing to know: the card has three fans. So first thing I did, was checking for a fan control somewhere (I tried AMD's adrenalin, MSI afterburner and GPU Tweak by ASUS). All did nothing to reduce noice. Whenever the fan even slightly turns on, it goes up to around 93% instantly (which is over 3000 RPM). Now, I physically looked at the fans, with my mobile phone flashlight, to see if it's only one fan or all of them. Turns out: it's only the center fan which goes mental. Outer fans spin on the amount as requested. (you can easily set manual fan speed with GPU Tweak). I visually see the outer fans go faster when I put fan speed (for instance) on 10%, then at 50%. The center fan stays at 90%-93%)%, as the GPU Tweak app states. SIDE NOTE: ALL fans stay at 0rpm (0%) when manually set at 0%. 

It really bothers me. I don't think this is standard procedure, for only the center fan to spin at high speed constantly. Shouldn't they spin simultaniously? As set manually at 10%, 50% or whatever % you set it on? 

Anyone got some tips? I tried the P-mode and Q-mode switch, but did not help. I re-installed the driver, but no help.

Please don't let me RMA this GPU. My previous one (RX 590) died, so my only back-up is an old R9 280x.

CPU: I7-11700F
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 6700 XT

EDIT: Maybe there's someway of checking the individual RPM of the fans on a gpu? This might help show/prove the issue.

Cheers in advance,

Bas

0 Likes
2 Replies

you can run GPU-Z which gives your GPU fan speeds.

From Asus concerning your GPU Fans. Seems like the Middle Fan is the main fan that provides cooling directly to the Heat sink while the 2 side fans helps circulate the air inside the heat sink.

Here is Asus remarks about your GPU fans: https://rog.asus.com/us/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rx6700xt-o12g-gaming-model...

This generation, our Axial-tech fan design has matured with an increased blade count on all three fans: 13 on the center fan and 11 on the auxiliary fans. The center fan’s extra blades and full-height ring provide boosted static pressure to blast air directly onto the GPU heat spreader. The barrier rings on the side fans have been slimmed down to allow for more lateral intake and to provide better airflow through the massive cooling array.

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

so the middle fan is more powerful than the side fans which probably explains why the middle fan is running faster than the others. 

So the middle fan is the really the Main fan of the GPU card.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I get what you mean to say. The concept of the main center fan behaving differently from the outer fans for specific cooling of the chip, makes sense. However, I still don't think it is normal behaviour for the center fan to go to 90%+, regardless of which percentage I manually put the fans. At 10%, 30% or even 1% fan speed, the center fan goes 90%+, while the others stay at the given speed. Do you think that is normal? Why build a GPU which would always have a fan spinning at 3000rpm+, thus make a lot of noise?

Also, the GPU-Z sensors only display general fan speed (which would be the highest fan, so always 91%) which you get at other applications as well, not the individual fan speed. Not sure if that's possible to give, but it would help me explain the issue better.

Cheers!

Bas