cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

ChickenSir
Journeyman III

Cannot boot with RX 6600 XT. VGA Debug Light on. Can't boot into BIOS.

System Specs

• GPU: Gigabyte RX 6600 XT Gaming OC 8 GB
  • OS: Windows 10 64 Bit (version unknown but updated recently)
  • Driver Version: Radeon Software Adrenaline 21.5.1
  • Monitor: LG24MK430H 24" 75Hz IPS FHD Freesync Monitor HDMI/VGA
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • PSU: MSI MPG A650GF 650w 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) 3200 Mhz

Description

I recently purchased an RX 6600 XT and after installing it and using it for roughly 30 minutes to an hour my PC black screened. After turning my PC off and back on again my PC did not boot, and the VGA debug light was on. I reseated the GPU and was able to get back into windows and noticed my GPU drivers were missing. Attempting to open AMD Radeon Adrenaline Software was met with the error PA-300. After doing a DDU and reinstalling the drivers to version 21.5.1, I was able to use my PC again and game for a bit before the same problem occurred. I took the card back to the store I bought it from and they ran Furmark on it for an hour and came to the conclusion that there was no problems with the card.

I took the card back home but before taking out my RX 570 and putting my 6600 XT back in, I set my PCIE_E1 Max Link Speed setting in my BIOs from Auto to Gen3. I then put my RX 6600 XT back in, ran DDU and reinstalled my drivers. I was able to use my PC again for a week before the same issue occurred again while I was playing Red Dead Redemption 2. Audio from the game continued to play for a few seconds before I heard the windows alert sound. Upon turning off my PC and turning it back on I was greeted with the VGA debug light on and no signal to my monitor.

I've tried:

• Changing PSUs - Corsair CX550M to MSI MPG A650GF
  • Taking out each RAM stick one by one and seeing if the system will boot. I was able to get into windows but after restarting to try and run Memtest86 the issue occurred again. I was able to do a Windows Memory Diagnostics Test with the one stick of RAM in and it returned with no errors. 
  • Reseating the card multiple times
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling GPU drivers
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling chipset drivers
  • Unplugging and plugging in my HDMI cable both on the monitor and GPU
  • Swapping out the card for my RX 570 and then swapping the card back. (RX 570 worked without issues)

I'm running out of ideas on possible solutions to try. Anyone know whats wrong?

EDIT: My BIOS version is E7C02AMS.350 and the build date is 11/07/2019.

UPDATE: After two days I was able to boot into BIOS, and then later Windows 10. However before getting into BIOS I was greeted with a message saying "Devices changed (CPU or RAM) or CMOS has been cleared. Please enter Setup to configure your system.". This was most likely because I was testing out my RAM sticks one by one before my PC failed to post again.

UPDATE 2: Checking windows event viewer shows "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has been successfully recovered" short after each black screen occurs.

0 Likes
2 Replies

If you install the old RX570 and everything works fine then the problem is definitely with the RX6600XT GPU Card.

Since it works intermittently sounds like your GPU card is going bad. I would ask the Retailer to replace your GPU Card or have them test it for a week and see if the same thing happens with them.

Furmark is good for checking stability of a GPU card but if the problem is intermittent it might work fine with Furmark and still be bad. Just my opinion.

NOTE: Since you mentioned it won't boot up at times with a VGA Trouble LED lit on the motherboard says that BIOS checked  your VGA (GPU CARD)  and found something wrong with it and stopped the PC from continuing on to Windows. 

I'm thinking of taking it to my local computer store (not the retailer I bought it from) and see if they can test out the card for a long period of time. I took it to the retailer a week ago and all they did was run Furmark on it for an hour, then deem the card to be in working order. They did not offer me a replacement or a refund.