cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

repeatman
Adept I

Can rx6800xt type-c interface export 4K 120hz if my monitor can support 4k?

Hi,

I have a monitor which can support 4K 144HZ, now i want to know if the rx6800xt type-c interface can fully support my monitor?

I just want to use type-c,, this is confused me some days. 

And another question, now i have AMD R7 5800x+ ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS, there is a type-C on the mother board, so, my question is can i still output the 4K 120HZ via type-c which is on the mother board to my monitor?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I don't know to tell you the truth.

This is your motherboard's specs for its Video outputs (depends on the APU you have installed):

Screenshot 2022-02-27 093811.png

You motherboard's DP Port is 1.2 and you can connect a 4K @ 60hz monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard.

You can try both to see which one gives you the highest resolution and frequencies.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

your Asus does seem to have a Type-C output port on it according to its specs: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/techspe...

Plus you motherboard has a Thunderport Header on it.

Now as to your Monitor. Are you trying to connect the USB Type C from the GPU card to a HDMI/DP Monitor or to a Monitor with a USB-C input port?

According to this Cable Tech site a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 Adapter will support 4k at 120Hz: https://www.cablematters.com/blog/HDMI/how-to-connect-usb-c-to-hdmi-2-1

If the GPU card has a USB-C Alt DP mode port than you can use a USB-C to DP cable to transmit as per this Tech site explanation: https://www.makeuseof.com/displayport-over-usb-c-how-it-works/

What Is DisplayPort Over USB-C?

DisplayPort over USB-C is exactly what it sounds like — USB-C cables with the ability to transport DisplayPort audio/video (AV). It is also called the DisplayPort Alt Mode for USB Type-C Standard. These were the first to carry AV over USB Type-C.

Since the Video Electronics Standard Association (VESA) published the DisplayPort over USB-C spec, it's a VESA standard.

Generally, DisplayPort over USB-C reflects the technical aspects of whichever DisplayPort standard is being used (likely DisplayPort 1.4). This means that over USB-C, you're able to transmit up to a 4K 8-bit signal uncompressed at 120Hz.

Now the AMD RX6800XT uses a DP 1.4a port which means if the GPU Card's USB-C supports Alt DP Mode it will transmit data and Video at DP 1.4 rates.

Hi Elstaci,

Thanks for the explanation, it's very detailed.

But I have a question, if i don't have the 6800XT, can my mother board + CPU still output the 4K 120HZ from my motherboard's type c? sorry , I don't know much about technology.

0 Likes

I don't know to tell you the truth.

This is your motherboard's specs for its Video outputs (depends on the APU you have installed):

You motherboard's DP Port is 1.2 and you can connect a 4K @ 60hz monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard.

You can try both to see which one gives you the highest resolution and frequencies.

0 Likes

Thank you so much!