cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

PetK
Adept II

Black screen, V-Ram and SAM

Considering many are dealing with Black screens and Performance Tuning freezes, including myself I'd figure to go on a search to find what triggers it.

I am using the 7900XTX water-cooled and am dealing with constant black screens when playing certain games such as WoW.

But why does my system freeze or go black when not even running under full load? I'm capping at 120FPS, so it rarely uses more than 85% of the GPU.

Power is also not a problem.

Then I remembered messing around with my own memory back in the day which would lock up my system like this. And I started focussing on the V-Ram. Now, I noticed with the latest drivers that the Frequency of the GPU was running much higher than before. And in order to keep that stable, surely it cannot keep the V-Ram frequency (2714 in my case) stable that I had selected. However, I figured that with the wrong tuning it would not hold either the GPU frequency or the V-Ram frequency stable and that would be fine, I'd just have to lower either of them. But, based on HWInfo it actually tries to push both, without drawing more power. And it simply locks up. So, I lowered the V-Ram frequency. Still black screens. Then I remembered someone mentioning he turned off SAM as it completely messed up his OC. So, I switched off SAM and it was stable.

Now, at this point to make sure it is really just the V-Ram, I left everything on auto. I turned off SAM. But after a while, black screen, just later than normal. Then I lowered the frequency of my V-Ram as on auto it would still spike. And this works. Limit the frequency of the V-Ram to a low setting with SAM off keeps the system stable.

Of course, turning off SAM and lowering the V-Ram gives a drop in performance, but for now it's a quick fix. If, this is the actual problem for all, then I hope they will fix this issue asap!

Let me know if this method works for you! Curious to know if it is indeed the V-Ram problem.

0 Likes
0 Replies