cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Liam_
Journeyman III

Black Screen PC Crash - RX 6800XT

Before posting this forum, I have seen the previous forums related to this issue.

The Issue:

For the last 6-8 months or so, I have been experiencing black screen PC crashes whilst playing games. The crash is very sporadic and doesn't happen after I reach a certain amount of playtime, so it could happen within the first 10 minutes of playing or 1+ hours, but at some point, it does occur. The only way to bring the PC back to life is performing a hard-reset by holding in the power button to shut it down. All of my RGB on peripherals remain on, as well as the PC and fans are still spinning (including GPU). No lights on the MB to suggest something is wrong.

Steps I have followed to attempt to fix the issue:

- Used a DDU to remove drivers (Booting in Safe Mode)

- Reinstall Windows 11 using a Bootable USB (I even reverted back to Windows 10 to see if the issue persists, it does)

- Used previous drivers on previous forums as well as the latest

- Updated my BIOS & Chipset to the latest as per Gigabyte's website

- Monitored temps whilst playing (CPU averaging around 55-65C and GPU around 75-82C)

- Disabled MXP in BIOS

Hardware Steps:

- Upgraded PSU to a 850W (was previous 700W from Prebuilt)

- Applied new Thermal Paste to CPU to see if it was overheating (It wasn't)

- Taken out GPU and resat in the original PCIe x16 slot (Using a 2X 8-pin connection)

- Cleaned out Fans, internal/external to prevent dust build-up

- After reinstalling Windows 11, I used only the essential USB peripherals (Mouse, Keyboard + Headset) and x1 DP Monitor @ 100Hz (The crash still occurred)

----

I have tried playing games that aren't massively GPU intensive, such as The Sims 4 and the issue still occurred. I decided to attempt another resolution which was to install Windows 11 using a bootable USB and install on a second SSD that has only been used primarily for game installations to see if there were any hidden files that may have been floating around on my standard SSD. After the installation was complete, I didn't install any drivers for my GPU or any applications for my peripherals and just installed Steam to download GTA 5 to play FiveM, using x1 monitor using a DP connection. After playing, the crash hit me after around 10 minutes of playing. This issue is severely disheartening considering it is under 2 years old (See specs below). I have read on previous forums here and it sounds like a lot of people have experienced this issue and I just hope it is not a GPU issue, but now I'm starting to believe it is. This time, when the crash occurred, I could hear a constant buzzing sound audio in my headset. I couldn't hear this before as I use a GoXLR Audio Interface which must crash at the same time of the PC crash, therefore no audio output is given, but as I was using the headset directly from my PC, I could hear it. 

PC Specs:

Gigabyte Z590 UD AC Motherboard

32GB DDR4 RAM

AMD RX 6800XT GPU

Intel i7-11700KF CPU

Aerocool AIO CPU Cooler

Gigabyte P850GM 80 Plus Gold 850W PSU

I'm not fortunate enough to test the GPU on another PC build as I don't have one at my hands, so that would be out of the question. I'm solely just here  to see if this sounds like a GPU issue or could it be anything else? I have had a look specifically at my GPU details in Windows Event Viewer and come across this following message:

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_73BF&SUBSYS_23281458&REV_C1\6&f6e1234&0&00000008 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem7.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Any support is appreciated, massively.

-- Liam

0 Likes
1 Reply
redteam4life
Adept II

Hello, sorry to hear about this, it can be so frustrating random issues like that.

Given the amount of steps i would look more toward hardware.

The GPU is connected with 2 individual 8pin cables? (PSU is single rail? model/brand?)

Is the CPU overclocked? Try underclocking, or running bone stock CPU speeds.(help eliminate instability/degradation of cpu)

Can you monitor Hot spot temps? (hotspot/edge temps and  on GPU is usually much higher than core temp

memory junction temps also)  You can use GPU-Z and or HWinfo for monitoring 

Is the GPU overclocked?  perhaps try underclocking the video card purely for testing. under tuning in adrenaline, try lowering your GPU clock by say 200-500mhz. (this might help is GPU is at fault and cannot maintain stock speed or overclocked speeds)

Hope that helps, *fingers crossed*

0 Likes