Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mytree123
Adept I

black flickering

Hello everyone!

I have recently updated my old drivers from way back in august 2021 to the latest recommended one (22.3.1). The problem which is quiet annoying is, that whenever I do something on my 2nd monitor there is a short black flickering on the main monitor. It is really odd and I haven't had it with the old version.

Does anyone know what it is? Is it a known problem?

Cheers

Niels

0 Likes
3 Replies
mytree123
Adept I

I should probably put my specs here:

Ryzen 7 5800X

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800XT

Crucial Ballistix 32GB @ 3600MhZ

MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi

(rest is irrelevant for what I am asking)

0 Likes
CaligoVereor
Challenger

Does the flickering happen when you scroll through webpages that have videos playing on them (like Twitter)? Do you also get the flicker when you watch a YouTube video and scroll down so that video goes off screen and the flicker happens the moment the video leaves the screen?

If yes, then me and many other people are having the same issue with drivers newer than 22.2.1. And unfortunately we have not found a solid fix. There are a few things you can try:

1. One person said they managed to get rid of flickering by checking the "restore factory settings" box when updating drivers.

2. Several people have said the flickering goes away if they cycle through different refresh rates. For example, if you're using a 144Hz monitor change to 60Hz and then back to 144Hz. The problem with this is that the flickering returns if your monitor falls asleep and you'll have to probably do this every time you turn on your PC.

I haven't tried these solutions since I found them after I went back to the latest stable version (22.2.1) but I'll definitely try both next time new version is available since I have lost faith in AMD fixing it because this has been happening for the last 4 or 5 driver versions now.

Let me know if it helps or you find something else, I've been struggling with this for way too long.

Hello!

Exactly this is the case! When I scroll through a video on my 2nd monitor which is set to 60Hz and just as the video passes my main monitor which is 144Hz starts to flicker black. This is very odd...

Fun fact: When I set my main monitor to 60Hz except for 144Hz the flickering doesn't happen.

I have been thinking of maybe even selling my card and getting a 3090 or something due to the bugs I have had with my GPU. For the applications I use Nvidia has always been pick No1 but I have decided to swap to AMD. The card itself (spec-wise) is amazing, just the drivers aren't it...

0 Likes