cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

oopsfish
Journeyman III

Black flickering artifacts when playing Starfield, only appear when I am facing towards space.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon RX 5700XT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME x570-P PRIME REV X.0x

RAM: 32GB R RAM

Operating System & Version: Windows 11

GPU Drivers: AMD SOFTWARE PRO EDITION 23.Q3

Chipset Drivers: AMD CHIPSET SOFTWARE 5.05.15.529

Background Applications: VIVALDI, CHROME

Description of Original Problem: Small black flickering artifacts appearing when facing space, while in space, in Starfield. It only appears occasionally, and sometimes not at all for large portions of playtime, and only when facing space. I can be in my ship, but if I look out a window into space, I see the artifacts appearing around the window. I am running the game with AMD Chill on and limiting it to 30-35 FPS, all settings in game set to low.

Examples

https://imgur.com/a/UVPhYfH

Additionally I am averaging temps of about 70-80

9 Replies

Doesn't depend on quality settings, steam proton 7900 xt:

0 Likes
Seref
Journeyman III

I have near identical specs to you and I have the exact same problem, it's somewhat a relief to find someone with the same problem as I feared my graphics card was on it's way out.

It might be an FSR glitch? I've not tried turning it off becuase it doesn't particularly bother me too much.

0 Likes

I also have this exact issue on a 5700 XT. 

I've tweaked all the settings to try and narrow it down but nothing helped. Turning off FSR2 did change the glitch slightly, but didn't get rid of it. 

It seems like a driver issue. 

0 Likes
megadee
Adept I

Starfield 02.11.2023 09_13_35_markiert.jpgSame here on a 5700 XT. I hope this gets fixed. It's a bit embarrassing for AMD.

0 Likes
Jackmie56
Journeyman III

I've noticed that I have nearly identical specs to yours, and interestingly, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. It's almost a relief to find someone else with the same problem, as I was concerned my graphics card might be failing. It could potentially be related to a glitch with FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR). I haven't attempted to disable it because the problem doesn't bother me significantly.

0 Likes
Farcuen
Adept III

Hi, @megadee , @oopsfish , @Jackmie56 , @AtomicSloth@Seref.

If everyone of you experiencing the same issue together, and maybe have same spec or just different.

The issue can be generated by a bug.

What I can suggests to you all is to contact the game producer and the AMD, reporting this and exposing your settings and hardware.

Some times bug can be fixed when the players report this together, because if no one do this, they just stay uninformed about this, and no one fix it.

Most of the time the players giving a feedback can help the experience of everyone out there.

Just an information to avoid to be feared reading something around the internet or forums

Some times talking about "artifact" could be referred to a faulty GPU ( I do not think this is the case, all of you experiencing same issue; so you should be unluckily to have all of you a faulty GPU).

That why people to understand if the GPU is faulty use a GPU benchmark test to see if the artifact occurs, the same thing also done by Overlockers, because some times overclocking GPU made instability, and can create artifacts.

So going back to the main topic, if you encounter bug, report that to the developer of the game and with the GPU company.

Let me know,

Kind regards

Farcuen

0 Likes

Found the AMD reporting tool and reported it there. Let's see if I find an official way reporting to Bethesda. 

Hi, @megadee.

How to Submit a Starfield Bug Report
To start, there is no way to submit an issue within Starfield itself. You need to go through the official Bethesda support site for that. Once there, go through the following steps:

1. Select Starfield
  2. Select the Technical Support category
  3. Unless you’re specifically contacting support about the Chronomark Watch, select No.
  4. Choose your platform.
  5. Select which problem you’re having.

Kind regards

Farcuen

0 Likes

Done. Let's see if AMD Radeon 5700XT owners will get some love.

0 Likes