cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Zeddar
Journeyman III

AMD's RX 6800 - Black Screens while gaming

I bought a RX 6800 on amd.com in November 2020. It has been working excellent. I'm very happy, but a little concerned about the current issue.

I have been dealing black screen while gaming since Friday, August 6th. My current driver version is 21.6.1.

Basically what happens:

When I play a game, it works fine for a certain of time. Suddenly, both of my monitors go black and the whole pc just shuts down. My pc is next to me, so when a crash happens, I can see the lights of the cpu cooler, other coolers and GPU and they are still on. The pc just doesn't work, so I have to restart. I find it quite interesting when I click once on my case button (to turn on or off), it immediately turns off. 

AMD Radeon Software has notificated me twice with "AMD Wattman restored due to unexpected system failure"

I have updated drivers to 21.7.1 and 21.8.1, but the problem wasn't solved. It doesn't matter which game I'm playing, but the crashes still happen.

It happened in these games so far:

Borderlands 3
The Outer Worlds
Horizon Zero Dawn
Superliminal
Dodgeball Academia
F1 2021
It also crashed while doing a GPU stress test once.
It also crashed while discording and figuring out what's the problem.
It also crashed while I was trying to login on my pc.

I changed drivers back to 21.6.1 and it seemed okay for 3 days, but today it crashed already twice.

It's really frustrating, but I really don't know what the issue is.

Hopefully I can get help!

Main Monitor 1 is 2560 x 1440
Monitor 2 is 1920 x 1080

0 Likes
2 Replies
severus666
Journeyman III

Having similar issues on rx 6800, 2560:1440, ryzen5 3600. Games crash at startup. Tried removing and reinstalling the drivers, reverting to old drivers, removing windows updates and reinstalling them, removed overclocks, resetted the bios, turned sam on and of, tried various compatibility modes, uninstalled msi afterburner etc.

The games:

World War Z

Baldurs gate 3

Vampirem

Msi Kombustor runs fine, however. And every couple of hours one of the games will launch properly. You can try all the above, hope something helps...

0 Likes

I uninstalled all apps with xbox in their name, had to use a special app: https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/oo_appbuster.html

That seems to have helped atleast with BG3 (multiple launches)!

0 Likes