Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Lempkin
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT : Black screen

Hi,

I have a  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT since 10 months now, and on some occasions (zooming on Google Earth, photo editing...) I get a black screen. Computer does not turns off but i don't get any signal and I have to hard reset it.

I've read a lot of threads about this problems but none of them offers a solution.

What should I do ? My GC is still under warranty, should I ask for an exchange? Is there anything to do on software level?

Thx

0 Likes
6 Replies
Markis1974
Adept I

I was looking for my problem and I saw it. Description of the problem in Russian.

Cannot read Russian I've translated some with google but cannot find the correct menu in the AMD Software. Does he says that we can update BIOS with AMD Software?

0 Likes

No. 

It says: Uninstall the driver using DDU and install the new version.

Paragon

What power supply make/model are you running? An old or underpowered or both.. power supply .. can cause black screening when under load.

Things to do/try if you want

Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU

IF you are using any kind of cable extenders inside your PC, including PCIe riser cable(s) .. remove them and plug in directly and then test

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you are running the latest Chipset drivers for your motherboard. IF AMD , go to AMD.com for their AM4 Chipset drivers. IF Intel, go to Intel.com and run their driver update utility

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

Make sure your case has adequate air flow to keep system drives, motherboard VRM's, and memory cool as well as the usual suspects CPU and GPU 

Run DDU to remove all things GPU related drivers. IF you ran an Nvidia card prior, then remove both AMD and Nvidia drivers

A simple reseating of components sometimes cures odd issues as well as reseating all power connections to motherboard and GPU

Might help ... might not

ThreeDee PC specs

Hi,

I've tried some of your advices but still have the problem so far :

I've tried separate power cable but nothing changes.
I've updated motherboard BIOS, seems to be a little better (unsure)
Windows is uptodate
I've cleaned GC drivers with DDU and installed last GC driver from AMD website
Airflow is ok, even with case totally open, same problem.

Power supply is 650W, do you think it can be the issue? When I google I find that some says that 650W is ok, some other says that's a little low and 750 would be better...

Most of the time I do not have any problem, but I do not push GC a lot (I do not play a lot). Problem happen only when I work on photos with darktable, on some options (and google earth but I don't use it a lot)

Is there away to test that problem comes from lack of power? A tool or so?

0 Likes
Passe75013
Journeyman III

Hi

I had the same issue and managed to solve it by forcing the screen refresh rate to 144 hz.

My setup : 6800 XT, driver version 23.2.2, dual screen:

- screen 1 : 1440p & 165 hz max refresh rate -> downed to 144 hz

- screen 2 : 1080p & 60 hz refresh rate

Screen 1 was the one that suffered the black screen issue, causing the AMD driver to crash after 1 minute of black screen. I had 1 or 2 crash per days when using 165 hz refresh rate.

So far, it's alright after 2 days with 144 hz refresh rate and freesync/adptive-sync on. No more black screen.

0 Likes