cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RetroGamerEd
Adept I

AMD Mini PC that can do 4k+ 3840 x 2560 resolution.

I am looking for an AMD Mini PC that can do 3:2 4k+ 3840 x 2560 resolution. Not for gaming. Would for example a Mini PC with an  AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics be able to output 3840 x 2560? I do not see the maximum supported resolution in the AMD specs. Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Please disregard the below information. I realize I again misread your question. You say your laptop doesn't output the 4k Resolution that you need thus you were thinking of a Mini-PC to do the job.

I got misdirected when you mentioned Vega 10 Laptop APU processor.

But maybe you laptop might be able to unless it has a very old HDMI or DP video output versions.

according to this Tech site review concerning the Vega 10 Mobile Processor IGPU: https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-RX-Vega-10

Video outputs and ports

Types and number of video connectors present on Radeon RX Vega 10. As a rule, this section is relevant only for desktop reference video cards, since for notebook ones the availability of certain video outputs depends on the laptop model.

what is the exact Make & Model of your Laptop. That should tell you under its specs what the maximum Resolution output per video outputs plus depending in what version of HDMI and DP and USB-C you have.

I couldn't find anything either since it depends on your laptop specs and motherboard. With Desktop IGPUs under it Motherboard Specs it will tell you the Maximum Resolutions for various APUs that it supports.

You have an odd 4k Frequency by the way. That is not a standard 4k Frequency.

Here is a chart showing all the Maximum Resolutions and Frequencies for HDMI various versions: https://glenwing.github.io/adapters/?output=HDMI

From the link above I inputted 3840x2560 Resolution and this is what came up depending on your laptop's HDMI and DP output versions you have:

Screenshot 2022-04-03 222909.png

Once you find out which version of DP and HDMI Outputs you have in your laptop than you can figure out if your laptop Maxiumum Video outputs by looking at its Specs.

EDIT: You can disregard everything that I replied above. I left it only for your Information in case you want to hook up an external 4k Monitor to your laptop. 

I understand you are looking for a Mini-PC that will output that odd Resolution and Frequency of 3840  x 2560.

Seems like everything is geared towards the standard 4k Resolution of  3840 x 2160. Also depends which version of HDMI or DP  video outputs its using.

The only suggestion I can give you is to open a ticket with the Mini-PC manufacturer and ask them if it will support the Resolution and Hz that you need.

The only way I can see is if you purchase a eGPU with a regular GPU card inside connected  to your laptop. But that would be very expensive.

Or upgrade your laptop to a more powerful one that has HDMI 1.4a/2.0/2.1 and DP 2.0 outputs on it and a more powerful APU processor.

Sorry I couldn't help much and misread your original reply.  Plus there are no specs on Vega 10 Mobile Maximum Resolutions.

You can try and find a Desktop APU and then find the motherboard that supports it to find out it Maximum Resolutions video outputs.

You can open a AMD Support ticket and ask them. They could probably inform you of the Vega 10 Resolutions outputs from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

I googled AMD Mini-PC and found this Amazon webpage showing several AMD Mini-PC that can output 4K@60Hz: https://www.amazon.com/ryzen-mini-pc/s?k=ryzen+mini+pc

0 Likes

Thanks elstaci. Yes I see the 4k@60Hz in mini PCs. That would be on 16:9 3840 × 2160 (UHD). I was wondering if these support 3:2 4k+ 3840 x 2560? My current laptop can't do this.

I was looking for the maximum resolution of the RX Vega 10 but I couldn't find any information on this. 

0 Likes

Please disregard the below information. I realize I again misread your question. You say your laptop doesn't output the 4k Resolution that you need thus you were thinking of a Mini-PC to do the job.

I got misdirected when you mentioned Vega 10 Laptop APU processor.

But maybe you laptop might be able to unless it has a very old HDMI or DP video output versions.

according to this Tech site review concerning the Vega 10 Mobile Processor IGPU: https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-RX-Vega-10

Video outputs and ports

Types and number of video connectors present on Radeon RX Vega 10. As a rule, this section is relevant only for desktop reference video cards, since for notebook ones the availability of certain video outputs depends on the laptop model.

what is the exact Make & Model of your Laptop. That should tell you under its specs what the maximum Resolution output per video outputs plus depending in what version of HDMI and DP and USB-C you have.

I couldn't find anything either since it depends on your laptop specs and motherboard. With Desktop IGPUs under it Motherboard Specs it will tell you the Maximum Resolutions for various APUs that it supports.

You have an odd 4k Frequency by the way. That is not a standard 4k Frequency.

Here is a chart showing all the Maximum Resolutions and Frequencies for HDMI various versions: https://glenwing.github.io/adapters/?output=HDMI

From the link above I inputted 3840x2560 Resolution and this is what came up depending on your laptop's HDMI and DP output versions you have:

Screenshot 2022-04-03 222909.png

Once you find out which version of DP and HDMI Outputs you have in your laptop than you can figure out if your laptop Maxiumum Video outputs by looking at its Specs.

EDIT: You can disregard everything that I replied above. I left it only for your Information in case you want to hook up an external 4k Monitor to your laptop. 

I understand you are looking for a Mini-PC that will output that odd Resolution and Frequency of 3840  x 2560.

Seems like everything is geared towards the standard 4k Resolution of  3840 x 2160. Also depends which version of HDMI or DP  video outputs its using.

The only suggestion I can give you is to open a ticket with the Mini-PC manufacturer and ask them if it will support the Resolution and Hz that you need.

The only way I can see is if you purchase a eGPU with a regular GPU card inside connected  to your laptop. But that would be very expensive.

Or upgrade your laptop to a more powerful one that has HDMI 1.4a/2.0/2.1 and DP 2.0 outputs on it and a more powerful APU processor.

Sorry I couldn't help much and misread your original reply.  Plus there are no specs on Vega 10 Mobile Maximum Resolutions.

You can try and find a Desktop APU and then find the motherboard that supports it to find out it Maximum Resolutions video outputs.

You can open a AMD Support ticket and ask them. They could probably inform you of the Vega 10 Resolutions outputs from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

Your can use the chart above to determine which PC or Hardware will support your Resolution and Hz.

If your laptop has DP 1.4 output it should be able to run 4k@2560 Resolution.

0 Likes

Hi elstaci.

Thank you for the details. Yes, my monitor has 4k+ 3:2 (Huawei MateView). My laptop is a Dell EltieBook 840 G6 with the i7-8565U with the Intel UHD Graphics 620. It can do 3:2 at 3000+ x 2000+ (sorry I don't remember the exact resolution - i'll check when I get back to my gear). Looks good already though I would like the native 3840 x 2560 of the MateView. 

As suggested, I've sent an email to AMD support. Many thanks again.