cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Marble_1A0A
Journeyman III

7900xtx randomly crashes and reboots while playing computer games (accompanied by WHEA-18)

Hi guys, I'm so glad you clicked into this question that has been bugging me for 2 months.

My PC set:

• GPU : 7900xtx
  • CPU : 5700X
  • Motherboards : TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS
  • RAM : KingBank DDR4 3600 (8G*2)
  • PSU : THERMALRIGHT TG-850 850w ATX3.0 GOLD MODULAR PSU

My original GPU was a 3080, but when I upgraded it to a 7900xtx, the problem arose: the PC would randomly black screen and reboot while gaming, and the error message WHEA Logger Event ID 18 could be queried in the syslog.
This never happened with the 3080, and I didn't replace any PC components in the process, so I think it was caused by the 7900xtx.
The PC stays normal in 3Dmark, AIDA64's system stability tests, and has good temperatures in Furmark tests. However, random crashes still occur frequently during gaming (perhaps more likely to occur during switching to lower loads, such as when switching from a game to a web page, or when opening the settings screen within a game).

After the problem appeared, I tried the following actions:
Updated the BIOS to the latest
Checked that the power connector was secure
Reinstalled the graphics driver using DDU
Restored all PC hardware settings to default
Turned off amd freesync, SAM
Uninstalled msi afterburner and other monitoring software

All of the above initiatives did not take effect and in the end I opted to tweak the GPU drivers:
23.9.2 Crashes will occur
23.11.1 Crash occurs
23.12.1 Crash occurs
23.4.3 does not crash (or has a very low probability of crashing, compared to almost daily crashes with other driver versions)

I'd love to know what's causing this, this issue makes it almost impossible for me to use the new driver.

5 Replies
jawad2heaven
Adept I

Yes a lot of us have a similar issue. After reading the forum posts there's a plague going on with this B.S. (black screen).

The way it got fixed for me was to install the Limited Adrenaline software AND have my GPU manufacturer's OC software running in the background (no actual OC taking place). If I don't have these 2 done then I'm guaranteed to experience these B.S. you're talking about.

I'm guaranteed to have crash without the OC software or if I install the full version of Adrenaline.

If you read random Reddit posts about this issue there's a bunch of people saying turning off accelerated hardware (from apps, try Chrome first as it appears to be a culprit for some reason) solves the issue but that didn't work for me.

0 Likes
Swiftwella
Adept II

I had the same issue with my 7800XT Nitro+ and since the new drivers and slight underclock (2550mhz instead of the ridiculous 2670mhz that comes by default in Adrenalin) with +5% power limit it has been stable, without any WHEA errors.

For reference, Sapphire says the following about my card:

• Boost Clock: Up to 2565mhz
  • Game Clock: Up to 2254mhz

I would try the latest drivers and reduce the max clock by a little bit to see if it helps.

0 Likes
Farcuen
Adept III

Hi, @Marble_1A0A.

What I can suggest is to understand why the system crashes, and try to identify the reason.

In order to give to you maybe a bettere support, I have two questions for you:

1. When you crashes do you recieve a blue screen?
  2. Do you not recieve any blue screen and the system just crash and reboot?

Based on your answer, you have to do this:

1. If you recieve blue screen you have to upload the minidump file which we can analyze to understand whats happen.
  2. If you do not receive any blue screen, you have to navigate to the Windows Event Log and extract the info on when the issue occurs.

For the minidump file the location is: C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp.

For the Windows Event Log you have to follow this guide.

In waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards,

Farcuen

0 Likes

Crashes will just black screen and reboot without going through the blue screen. My native language is not English, so learning the second method is very difficult for me. However, when a crash occurs, the following events always appear in the log in sequence.
1 . UserModePowerServices 12: Process C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0398226.inf_amd64_c5d9587384e4b5ff\B398182\atieclxx.exe ( Process ID: 3064) reset the policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
2 . Winlogon 7001: User Login Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Programs
3 . WLAN-AutoConfig 4000: The WLAN AutoConfig service has been started successfully.
4 . WLAN-AutoConfig 10001: The WLAN extension module has been started successfully.
Module path: C:\windows\system32\mtkihvx.dll
5. whea-logger 18 :
A fatal hardware error occurred.

Reported by: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 5 (the number here is random)

Eventually a black screen occurs and a direct reboot occurs

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

It's most likely your PSU. If it was me, i would try a better quality PSU from a store where i could return it.

Before trying that, I suggest repairing windows install with sfc and dism.

0 Likes