cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RekkrTV
Journeyman III

7900XTX Low GPU usage 60%

Noticed that my frames will drop to 80-90 FPS and GPU usage is at 60%.  When GPU usage is 90%+ my frames are 140-180+ FPS while play Hunt Showdown.  I don't think it is a CPU bottleneck as my 5900X usage is only around 23-32%.

I am new to AMD software so I am thinking it is a setting I am missing.  If there is a guide somewhere that I can go through I would really appreciate the info.

0 Likes
5 Replies
hardreset
Challenger

What resolution do you play in? If you use MSI Afterburner, disable it, sometimes it causes problems and performance drops.

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes
RekkrTV
Journeyman III

Resolution is 3440 x 1440

I do not have MSI Afterburner installed, I have read power but I have a 1100W PSU and all three connectors are on their own cable from the PSU.

Also checked temps when it was happening Edge temps are 65 - 66 and the core temps peak at 95 (well under the 110 max for throttling)

0 Likes

I used the bottleneck calculator and it shows the CPU as bottleneck, but not by much, only 14.5%. What sort of memory? AMD is a little more sensitive to slower memory. I could imagine that either it is swapping a lot of memory between caches (L1/L2/...) or perhaps loading from disk.

Your stats kind of line up with the CPU being unable to feed the GPU here, and it is fairly linear with the drop being almost exactly 60%.

0 Likes
RekkrTV
Journeyman III

I am also noticing micro stutters in games.

64GB of 3600MHz Corsair

Running PCIe Gen 4.0 nVME

0 Likes

Some games run considerably better on that cpu with SMT turned off via bios or cpu affinity set to only one of the core complex dies with SMT on. Simultaneous multi threading seems to increase load load shifting between the cores and CCD's that adds latency to the render pipeline from the cpu thus lagging the the game by starving the gpu of necessary data to render in a timely manner. This causes frame pacing issues that manifest as stutters. I recommend try both but only one at a time to see which option works best and maybe both methods together although hunt uses up to 8 threads so that could be counter productive.

0 Likes