cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

solidcrow
Journeyman III

7900XTX Freezing after changing certain settings!

Hi, I bought a Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX in August and I've been having an issue where changing diplay modes though turning on then off HDR, changing pixel format, or seemingly many other random settings that might cause the display to restart, often happening with turning off freesync too, leads to my system hard locking after a moment. For example, I turn on HDR in windows, or a game turns HDR on, and when HDR turns off it hangs.

I've tried every set of drivers that have been released since I bought the card and it happens all the same. The card is rock solid otherwise, no crashes or freezes. If I'm not running a game that uses HDR or trying to watch a video on Netflix or youtube with HDR, I can go weeks without seeing that problem.

Thank you for any help.

0 Likes
1 Reply
solidcrow
Journeyman III

As a follow up, I noticed threads from earlier this year on here, guru3d and reddit talking about freezing and BSODs with freesync turned on, so I followed the advice from that, turned off freesync in the drivers, vrr in windows and freesync on the display, and the freezing went away.

Only now I have two issues, instead of freezing I get screen flicker above 60Hz under the same cicumstances, enabling then disabling HDR, etc, and as I suffered from the high idle power draw issue, which was fixed for me in recent drivers, but only when I have freesync enabled. So I ultimately have to choose between my system locking up, or high idle power draw and screen flickering which requires a reboot every time.

I've only had the card for under two months and am already at my wits end on this. I tried to get a refund, but was told by the retailer that I can't as this is a driver issue and not a hardware fault.

0 Likes