cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

PetK
Adept II

7900XTX blackscreen + driver crash while gaming

Today I've been testing a lot again regarding the black screen crashes that many seem to deal with.

In my case it happens with WoW. Before I couldn't see much but today while gaming I got to deal with FIVE instant crashes after one another.

And this time results popped up..

After the crashes HWInfo showed a maximum power draw of 473.1W, moreover, I had selected -15% power in Adrenaline Tuning to make sure power wasn't the problem. Then why with -15% is it spiking to 473Watts??

I am also using 2500-2900Mhz settings in the tuning, however, also here it is showing effective clock spikes of up to 3,432MHz.. Interestingly, the VRAM and temperature do remain stable at selected parameters.

I have a 1000W PSU and water-cooled my system, so power and heat isn't the issue here. But these spikes could be the reason why the GPU goes poof..

What are you guys seeing with HWInfo?

0 Likes
3 Replies
alfata
Adept II

Are you running a single or a double monitor setup?
From lurking a few months on this issue the common denominators seem to be:
Running different monitors with  different frame rate, or resolution, or Cables (HDMI/DP/HDMI->DP/DP->VGA).

HW shows no increase in power draw, but the timeline of spikes in HWinfo is curious.
Event 1:Shredder clocks jump from ~600 to ~2k
Event 2(i  guess this is where the crash is): Shredder clocks are at 2.8k, GPU clock jumps from 600 to 2.2k and D3D dedicated memory goes from 3232 to 81

0 Likes

No, I'm running a single monitor setup. It's strange though that it happens with a basic game like WoW.. certainly considering the little power it uses when it actually runs the game and I max it to 120fps manually. HWInfo says it uses about 160Watts on average to play the game.. so why it spikes all the way to 473 beats me..

0 Likes

Because the drivers are trash and AMD won't even acknowledge there is a problem.

There's thousands of posts all over the internet by people like us with the same driver problem and there hasn't even been a peep about it from AMD. And it's not recent. Some posts as far back as the summer. All 7000 series cards.

Won't be buying AMD again after this nonsense.

0 Likes