CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: Crucial 64GB

Board: Asus X570 TUF Gaming-Plus Wifi | BIOS 3001 | SMU 46.67.0

PCIE_16_1: PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil

PCIE_16_2: SolarFlare 2x10GB SFP

M2_2: Corsair MP510 240GB

SATA: KingDian s280 120GB

PSU: Antec 750W

I currently use a Nixeus 1080p144 display for general/gaming and wanted better frames and potential for streaming later, so picked up a 7900XT Hellhound.

Switching to this has been an awkward uneventful stumbling block with a POST beep followed by more beeps with the VGA diag lamp stuck on. Keyboard controls respond but no matter which cable is used, I'm not getting a display signal out of this card. I don't know how to proceed.

It sounds similar to the issues some people have with 30xx Ti series cards that are straight up incompatible with their mobo so I'm guessing that could be the case here but I have never heard of an AMD card rejecting a mobo like that. I'm guessing mine needs a BIOS flash but I'm not sure. Has anyone here encountered this issue with 7000 series? The card seems to want to work, is lit up, no fan spin and won't display a picture.

This workstation is my main creator computer and for that reason I'm really not fond of flashing firmware when the stuff I build has a working configuration. New card looks like the odd one out, or is it?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Dragokar
Miniboss

Could you update your bios to version 5013 and see if it does help?

0 Likes
DaemonForce
Journeyman III

It's possible. I really dread recent firmware updates if it can be helped. Board is currently on build 3001 (Dec 2020) and I've been looking into feature updates from build 3602 (Mar 2021). The 7900XT is a Nov/Dec 2022 product so I'm guessing a few BIOS updates from that period may have been delivered to deal with specific issues like this one. Build 4408 simply states "Improve system compatibility" and there's a few additional "Mitigate the AMD potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon™ processors and Ryzen™ processors" along with every AGESA update.

5013 is the most recent April 4th build and I hope that jump isn't catastrophic. I put in a support ticket with ASUS to ask about it. and they just don't know because my bios version is so old. This R5 3600 CPU and X570 TUF combination is common enough but the combination of 7900XT and old bios version is new territory for support. They really tried. My issue was escalated up the chain and I was advised to load bios 5013 as a quick solution so maybe I'll try that today.

0 Likes
DaemonForce
Journeyman III

Welp, that was an uneventful flash. Went to build 5013, manually redid all my settings and everything works fine with the Red Devil but it chokes on that VGA lamp with the Hellhound. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Does the 3600 just NOT work with the RX 7000 series? Do I need a newer CPU?

0 Likes