cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pieterman09
Adept I

7900GRE fan control problem

Hi , just bought xfx 7900GRE [ with reference cooler ] and have a weird problem with it . When i limit to 60fps and gpu usage is low [ 30-40-50% ] my gpu fans stay at 500-600rpm and won't ramp up to higher speed until 92c at hotspot when it goes to 700-900rpm for a moment and then back to 500-600rpm causing my gpu to have very high temperatures when under light load [ 80+ core and 90+ at hotspot and memory ] . Already tested both linux [ fedora 39 with mesa 23.3 and kernel 6.6.11 ] and windows 11 with latest adrenaline drivers and both behave identical as i described above . I suspect some firmware/bios issue . Please help me

0 Likes
13 Replies

First your GPU card Maximum Operating Temperature is 110c for the Hotspot temp. So 92c is below your Maximum running temperature. If it start reaching or surpassing 110c than you need to seriously start troubleshooting your GPU card.

Here is the latest AMD driver for your RX 7900GRE GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900-series/amd-rade...

Have you tried to create a Fan Profile in Radeon Settings - Performance by any chance?

Have the GPU fans to reach 100% when the HotSpot is around 75c - 85C.

i have latest driver on windows and linux and both have the same  issue with fans staying at low rpm when gpu is load causing very high temperatures . 

In windows i can set my own custom fan curve at it works , on linux it doesn't work - even setting 100% fans in coreCTRL don't do anyhing .

My issue is only on low gpu loads , when i uncapp my framerate and let gpu get 90+% usage the fans do get up to 1200-1500rpm and card stays at 70c core and 82-85 hotspot ... so don't you think it's wrong when my gpu is hotter on light load than when it's maxed out ?

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

What Tuning preset is selected in Adrenaline\Performance\Tuning section of the software?

If it's currently on Default or Quiet, try using Balanced or Rage, or as @elstaci suggested, create a custom setting.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

i'm mainly using linux and for now can't set my own curve . Tried on windows and same issue as i described . Happens on default setting , in windows i can set my own fan curve to fix it but i don't wanna have to think about every driver/os reinstall .

0 Likes

Other than the temperature being higher and the fan speed lower than you expect, are you experiencing any other issues? If it's otherwise working properly and you don't want to select a different preset then just leave it as-is as it's clearly working as designed under the default setting.

0 Likes

after playing snowrunner [ limited to 60fps ]  for an hour yesterday - 600-650rpm - 92c on hotspot - 96c on memory - you really think it's normal that card on lower load gets  hotter than when it's fully loaded ?

0 Likes

when reached 96c on memory  my pc crashed to black screen , will retest today

0 Likes

When the 7900 XTX came out there was a batch of reference cards with faulty vapor chambers. Those would hit 110°C junction even with fans at max speed, and experience thermal throttling and crashes.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/reference-7900-xtx-110c-junction-temp-and-maxed-fan-spee...

If your card is ramping the fans to keep hotspot temp below 100°C then yes, I'd say that's working as designed.

0 Likes

after 2 hours of gaming and observations : card lets hotspot temp reach 88-90c then fans starts to spin faster .Card lets memory temps reach 94-96c [wasn't able to get it hotter within 2 hours of gaming ] . No crashes this time .

How do i determine if card is trottling ? i see gpu frequency going up and down , rather different behavior than my previous gtx1080 whitch would lock to 2025mhz +/- 75mhz when fully loaded . On 7900GRE i see between 1500 and 2500mhz - mostly around 2100mhz , don't know if its suposed to do that .

0 Likes

Enable the Metrics Overlay in Adrenalin under Performance\Metrics\Overlay. Under Tracking add other Metrics you want to see like clock speed, hotspot temp and fan speed. Then you can monitor the FPS and Temp while in game. You can also turn on logging if you want to save those metrics out to a .csv file.

0 Likes

I know that , that's how I got temperaturę data mentioned above - from adrenaline overlay

0 Likes

Apologies, I would keep an eye on FPS vs. Temp and as you're limiting to 60FPS if that drops while Temp is high then throttling may be occurring. Or log it to .csv and review after a 10 or 15 minute session rather than trying to "catch" it in realtime.

I did some experimenting with my 7900XT and capped at 60FPS the utilization is 50-60% and fan speed same 500-600rpm however temps are 60-70°C playing FarCry6. Not sure what difference there may between the XT and GRE cooler or BIOS or load vs. what you're running.

0 Likes

Tested horizon zero dawn , snow runner , Forza Motorsport and ac:Valhalla ... I don't see signs of throttling. Only Forza had weird random  GPU usage drops to 60-70% but I think this might be game related issue .