Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

UbergamR
Adept II

7900 XTX very high idle power

Hey!

I just bought a 7900 xtx and noticed that it draws ~100W when im using only my main monitor, its a 1440p 240Hz monitor. I do have two others plugged in, two 1080p monitors, one with 144Hz and the other is just 60Hz but even when i dont turn those on, idle usage of the card is 100W and thats waaaay too high for doint nothing, no work

33 Replies
stan
Elite

1. Known issue, waiting for amd driver fix.

2. Try to enable FreeSync/VRR.

i have 7900xt 1440p 240hz monitor

thx for help, had 70w on desktop, after enabling adaptive sync get 4-7w

again thx for your advice

temps also went down from 45 to 33, noticed that before  vram clock was always at 2487 mhz, rn its 20 to 100 mhz

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

I just wanted to make my voice heard, amplifying the importance of the problem. The GPU is consuming more power on idle than my whole processor under usage and its ridiculous. But i love the performance tho. I've always been an AMD fan and i just want this to be fixed ASAP.

Yes, AMD needs to speed up the fix of this problem....

It has been existed for six months after RDNA 3 released.

MrMafoo
Adept II

Just another data point. I got the 7900XT yesterday, and absolutely love the card. I run a triple screen setup, and everything looks better in 2D as well, than what I had with the 3070 this is replacing. Love the driver UI as well.

However it pulls 95w at idle, and I live in Thailand, so at no point in the year will the heat help. Not only am I paying the cost for my new AMD space heater, but I need to pay the cost of cooling the room it's heating up.

All I really want to know, from an AMD rep, is are they working on this, or is this just the way it's going to be. Can someone point me to an article or something, where someone from AMD has said this is a known issue, and they are working on a fix?

Cheers!

EDIT: 

I see on this driver release notes page:
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.5.2 Release Notes | AMD

They say this:

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Does this mean they are working on the issue, or that they just know it's a problem? I would love someone from AMD to let me know if this is actively being addressed.

0 Likes

@MrMafoo 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-10-01-41-vlk-extn

preview Driver, it seems AMD fix this issue.

Fixed issues

Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Application crash or driver timeout may be observed during playback of AV1 video content using DaVinci Resolve™ Studio.

Improvements to high idle power when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

WonderWhis
Adept I

how do you view how much watts your pc uses? what sofware?

0 Likes
stan
Elite

@UbergamR 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-10-01-41-vlk-extn

preview Driver, it seems AMD fix this issue.

Fixed issues

Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Application crash or driver timeout may be observed during playback of AV1 video content using DaVinci Resolve™ Studio.

Improvements to high idle power when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Thank you Stan!
@WonderWhis If you go to the performance tab of the Adrenalin software that comes with the AMD drivers, it will tell you.

MrMafoo_0-1687878201892.png

I installed the new drivers... no change.

MrMafoo_3-1687878842363.png

MrMafoo_2-1687878818557.png

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

I will definiately try this out today!

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

versionversiondidn't change at alldidn't change at all

So I installed that driver but sadly it didn't change anything at all...

Disappointed

so

pure liepure lie

This is just pure lie.

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

For anyone whos interested in sparing some absolutely wasted wattages heres my workaround:

I created a "custom resolution" for my monitor (which is 2560x1440 @240 Hz by default) with 90 Hz refresh rate (going anything above that triggers my GPU and usage goes right back to 90W for me.)
I use a program called Qres which can change the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor with command line commands. I created two links, one with 240Hz and one with 90Hz.

Finally I use autohotkey to bind launching these links with different keypresses.

So when i dont play i use 90Hz ( sadface ) but when i play i switch back to 240Hz with just pressing two buttons.

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Known issue. NO, its not fixed for all. There is probably about 4.7million threads, regarding this very issue. We wait. 

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

Probably there are. It didn't stop me from creating another one because this is kind of a huge issue. Especially in a world where power bills are getting out of hand.

UbergamR
Adept II

-- Update --

With the newest driver (23.7.1) I can run 1440p on 144Hz with low idle power at last!

240Hz still use 90W tho. But this is an improvement

UbergamR
Adept II

Well, if i turn on my second display (1080p @ 144Hz) idle power goes back up to 90W so i still have to use 90Hz on my 1440p monitor if i want them both turned on and have low idle power.

Ill try and lower the refresh rate on my second. I use it to browse only anyways..

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

So i have to go down to 90Hz on my second (1080p) monitor to get a custom 100Hz on my main (1440p) but it goes down to 6 bpc in color depth dunno why and if i step up to 120Hz which allows me to do 8 bpc, no matter what i do with my second monitor, how i calibrate it, as long as its turned on, idle power goes up to 50W minimum.

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Lowering refresh rate, on a monitor you paid for, to get that hz. 

Interesting concept. Me? I will never, ever, lower anything, because something else is broken. Especially to net a 50 watt difference or whatever. Fu,c,k that. Im not turning my shiz down. No way, no how. 
(they why buy the monitor in the first place?) Nope, not here. Running maxed, because for me, i pull the same 100w regardless. Supposedly, a the new driver is suppose to "solve" this.   Im not even going to update my gpu until i see, and know for sure, as ive heard this since november of last year.  

0 Likes

Give 23.7.1 a try. I used to idle between 135-150W with a 2 monitor setup, now it's between 55-70W.

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
Th3N1ghtH4wk
Adept I

So I had a similar issue. I'm running 2 monitors, one at 1440p 144Hz and one at 1080p 144Hz. My idle usage with absolutely nothing open (except for adrenaline) was between 130-145W. I recently upgraded to 23.7.1 and didn't notice much at first but I just checked my power usage and it's dropped significantly. My Total Board Power on the RX 7900 XTX shows between 15-30W depending on what I'm doing. I also moved one of my monitors to the onboard motherboard display adapter. In total the usage between the RX 7900 XTX and onboard Radeon chip is 55-70W which is nuts.

Not saying upgrading drivers will fix your issue but it's definitely worth a try.

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Neat for you all,.........  still borked here

Samsung g7 24" and 32" both 240 1440p. 

**bleep**s a joke. 

unnamed (14).jpg

UbergamR
Adept II

yea 1440p @240 hz is still 100W on idle, even with a single one monitor

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

Yerp...... 

As i mentioned 47 times above. It isnt "fixed" and im not lowering my hz, or setting some dumb ass custom hz bs.....     S hi T is a joke. 

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

VRR does help if you have a compatible monitor but when i turn it on my multi monitor setup gets all jumbled up and my secondary monitor gets to be the main and i cant change it so VRR is out too..

Again, a "setting" shouldnt be "a fix". THEY, need to fix it, and correctly. Its beyond lame. 

0 Likes

I get what you are saying, and thats exactly why i started this forum thread. In the meantime while we are waiting, there are workaround solutions to this problem, because i dont want my gpu to draw 100W on idle, i dont want to pay for electric bills like that, im not that rich

Vyathaen
Adept I

102W on Idle here with a single monitor 4K 144hz. I had a 1440p144hz monitor before that and the usage was 52W. So its only worse now I do have 2 1080p monitors attached also but they make no difference.

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

I still have ~90 W TBP usage if i use my 1440p monitor on 240 Hz. With the latest drivers my GPU sometimes uses 50 W on idle even if i scale down to 90 Hz. So i guess everything is worse now?

0 Likes

Having the same issue. Seems the fix didn't apply for everyone. Starting to understand why people dislike AMD drivers.

0 Likes

I also have a power consumption of 50 Watts with my 7900xt, 1440p 240 Hz, when I set 144 Hz, it seems to drop to a normal power consumption of 7-15 watts. But yes, the problem is still here, and we have to deal with it.

I noticed that the memory clock speed freezes at 909 MHz

0 Likes
slavicpsycho
Adept II

this is normal at this point

0 Likes
UbergamR
Adept II

I think im gonna send a bug report every day reporting the high idle power usage and pray

0 Likes