cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Pet_li
Journeyman III

7900 xtx + ryzen 7900x games crashing soon after launch

I'll start with the crashing symptoms and then regale you with my story. Basic windows functionality is flawless, if i run an intensive game (so far tried darktide and star citizen) the game crashes up to 30 seconds after loading in. I've also tried less intensive games (nnk: crossworlds a mobile port) and it lasts a lot longer but will eventually crash on high settings. Before my PSU upgrade i disconnected my larger monitor of 2 and turned down the settings as low as they'd go for the less intensive game and it lasted a good few hours but again, did crash.

Been on quite the journey upgrading my PC so ill keep it brief.

My new system parts are:

• sapphire 7900xtx
  • ryzen 9 7900x 
  • asus prime x670-p
  • 2x16g corsair ddr5

After this upgrade i updated to windows 11 and performed a windows reset afterwards (trying to get my activation key back, never worked but that's not the point)

With this system i tried to use my old 750W PSU but i experienced games crashing soon after boot and after some PSU calculator research i realised i was cutting it close. I Decided to upgrade to a 1050W cooler master but I still experience the same crashing although it does take a little longer to crash (a few extra seconds) though that may be placebo. I found here that ASUS are recommending 1000w for this system so surely it should be enough, right? That is a recommendation after all not a 'bare minimum and you might crash'  but if the PSU isn't the problem I'm not sure what's left. 

Any advice would be great, thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pet_li
Journeyman III

Sorry all for the late reply, thought my post never got any responses. Not sure whether it will fix anyone else's issue, but mine was solved by setting my RAMs speed correctly in BIOS. The auto setting had identified my ram as 4800 instead of 5600mhz

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JuliusKeusch
Adept I

Hello there o/ Did you solve your issue? 

I upgraded to the Ryzen 9 7900x + RX 7900 XTX today and added 32GB of Corsair 6000 RAM to it and I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I want to play Cyberpunk 2077, I did a fresh install of Windows 11 Pro and I'm using the CorsairRM1000X as my power supply - the game crashes after several minutes of gameplay ._. 

0 Likes

Same.  New build Ryzen 9 7900x + RX 7900 XT with 128GB of RAM on Windows 10 Pro x64.  No issues on anything unless I run an intensive game (in this case its Elden Ring).  Game freezes then crashes somewhere between 2 - 10 minutes in.  

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

one thing for sure , you did well to upgrade your psu , that eliminate a cause of possible "crash" (psu shutdown if psu not enough)

then did you try with ram settings to defaults , no xmp , no docp just to be sure it's not a problem about new hardware compatibility etc

did you check temps of all your components while gaming ?

0 Likes

It's weird - I activated the EXPO settings in my Bios - bam, no crashes anymore. Before EXPO the Windows MemTest found several errors - after activating EXPO it didn't find any errors. 
I'll RMA the RAM though. I wanna be sure. I doubt that something is wrong with either the graphics card or the CPU because I already played several hours and nothing bad happened. The temps are a bit high on my graphics card due to the lacking airflow in my case (simply not enough coolers installed, only got the 3 Pure Wings 2 (DC) that came with the case). 

ok so it's called expo now lol , didn't know that ... yeah that's info about correct timings to set in mb if i'm not mistaking ... and if it's ok with expo , i think you ram are ok in my view ... i wouldn't expect another behaviour with the same ram model then, before maybe some bios update

Pet_li
Journeyman III

Sorry all for the late reply, thought my post never got any responses. Not sure whether it will fix anyone else's issue, but mine was solved by setting my RAMs speed correctly in BIOS. The auto setting had identified my ram as 4800 instead of 5600mhz

nicely done