Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DaXen
Adept I

7900 XTX Heat Problem

Hey,

i recently bought an 7900 XTX and i am running it at factory settings without anything changed. i use a very cool casing with very good airflow which so far always helped that my comoponents basically were always cooler than listed in reviews and such (raven 02 with the newer 1800 fans they have).

now with the 7900 xtx i get idle temps of 65-70 degree (75 at hot spot), fans runing around 20-30% and even when the card is only used at 40-50% is instantly goes to 80 degree (110 at hotspot), fans running at 100%, gpu clock is even below 2000 when i game, only occasonally like 2200. when i bench it at 100% usage it basically is the same *shrug*

when in idle it still takes like 8-120 watt so maybe this is still a driver issue?

in the reviews the temps were mostly at like 40 degree in idle and 70 degree under load so i am kinda not sure if my card is broken or if this is a release driver issue?

really annoying as it is now as it's super loud and just doesn't feel right when it gets that hot when not even working at 100%.

any input appreciated

on a side note i can still reduce the the power it takes in the settings without getting problems with warranty? as there pops up an eula even when i try to hit the energey reducing tuning profile?

1 Solution
DaXen
Adept I

thanks for the replies - long story short the normal/horizontal placing of the card fixed this for me for now. will see how this works over the next days. glady for my card it only seems to be my exotic placement and not that it goes hot in a normal setting so far.

the detailed infos i found on this were:

there was another thread here where someone said he got normal temps when turning the card, i think he had it vertical and turned it to horizontal - like in any normal case.

in my case ,the raven 02, the card is turned 90 degrees with the blend facing up which so far has been working like a charm with all the cards i had in the past decade or so so i turned my case around so the the card was aligned like it would be in any normal case and the temps were down from 80/110 permanently to around 61/82 with 100% usage. i was still very much like ok this works but there has to be something wrong with the card.

then there was also a reddit post where someone tested the temps with all the different positions you can have a card (https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/zr1f1q/7900_xtx_ref_orientation_impact_on_temps/) and it seems like my setting just doesn't work, his guess was due to the vapor chamber it has where it just doesn't work when aligned this way. for me this sounds reasonable enough to think it may not be a faulty card but a design choice/issue with the card.

well now in the end i moved to a new case away from the good old raven after well a decade i was thinking about this anyway for quite some time. temps are now what i call ok...idle at around 45/50 (with 80 watt due to multi monitor driver bug and 100% usage stay at around 60/80 as far as i tested. fans stay at around 60% which is decent from the noise level and something i am happy about now.

maybe this helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Raphy
Adept I

Same issue here my card gets quickly up to junction temp 110C and GPU temp 80C when mounted horizontally but when I lay my case flat it's stays under 110C

dekov
Adept II

This seems to be problem of RDNA 3, maybe chiplet design, AMD knows about it, but they didn´t say if they can patch it.

0 Likes
Bryo4321
Adept II

You are not alone. Try turning your pc sideways and running a bench. I cannot prove it but I am positive a batch of reference coolers are not working correctly. Many of us have the same issues.

https://youtu.be/SK0HjBdqZdI

https://youtu.be/h4MP8JXq2ec

DaXen
Adept I

thanks for the replies - long story short the normal/horizontal placing of the card fixed this for me for now. will see how this works over the next days. glady for my card it only seems to be my exotic placement and not that it goes hot in a normal setting so far.

the detailed infos i found on this were:

there was another thread here where someone said he got normal temps when turning the card, i think he had it vertical and turned it to horizontal - like in any normal case.

in my case ,the raven 02, the card is turned 90 degrees with the blend facing up which so far has been working like a charm with all the cards i had in the past decade or so so i turned my case around so the the card was aligned like it would be in any normal case and the temps were down from 80/110 permanently to around 61/82 with 100% usage. i was still very much like ok this works but there has to be something wrong with the card.

then there was also a reddit post where someone tested the temps with all the different positions you can have a card (https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/zr1f1q/7900_xtx_ref_orientation_impact_on_temps/) and it seems like my setting just doesn't work, his guess was due to the vapor chamber it has where it just doesn't work when aligned this way. for me this sounds reasonable enough to think it may not be a faulty card but a design choice/issue with the card.

well now in the end i moved to a new case away from the good old raven after well a decade i was thinking about this anyway for quite some time. temps are now what i call ok...idle at around 45/50 (with 80 watt due to multi monitor driver bug and 100% usage stay at around 60/80 as far as i tested. fans stay at around 60% which is decent from the noise level and something i am happy about now.

maybe this helps