Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

marlon1337
Adept I

7900 XTX Crashes on VRM stress test with Ryzen 9 7900X3D

Card: ASRock 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X3D

When playing Grayzone Warfare I get random black screen crashes. I have to power cycle the PSU and hold down the power button to fully unload all electricity to be able to boot up again. When stress testing the VRAM with OCCT the same error occurs. All other stress tests which don't include VRAM are running fine. I thought the case is clear, it's the VRAM. But then I tried the card in my old gaming rig with a i7-8700K, started the OCCT VRAM stress test and all worked fine, no crashes.

So, what may it be? The CPU? The PSU? Combined OCCT CPU + RAM + 3D standard stress tests are working flawlessly.

I can't try disabling SAM or Bios edits right now, as I took the card with me to test it in my old gaming rig and I planned to return it where i bought it, but the test in the other rig made me unsure if it's the GPU/VRAM. Actual rig is in another country... . But still, even if it would work with disabling SAM I wouldn't want the card as I want the full potential if I am already buying an AMD everything rig.

What are your suggestions?

1 Solution
Truckovsky
Adept I

Hi dude.

I got driver crashes on my 7900xtx+7800x3d and noone in amd stuff not even contacting guys with such problems LOL. I changed MB, RAM, PSU `cos thinked of this parts first... BUT its GPU problem аnd the driver in particular.
The AMD driver sets the maximum frequency much higher than the video card can afford (look at your gpu boost clocks on paper or in VBios) and this power surge initiates protection without sufficient voltage (BlackSOD)
Try THIS SOLUTION. It helped me stabilize the system in games and stress tests:

In Adrenalin move there and get exactly that numbers in your overclocking window.  These values are universal no matter what vendor you have. Truckovsky_1-1716333365445.png

Lemme know here if it works.

If it helps share with guys who needs it too comrade.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Truckovsky
Adept I

Hi dude.

I got driver crashes on my 7900xtx+7800x3d and noone in amd stuff not even contacting guys with such problems LOL. I changed MB, RAM, PSU `cos thinked of this parts first... BUT its GPU problem аnd the driver in particular.
The AMD driver sets the maximum frequency much higher than the video card can afford (look at your gpu boost clocks on paper or in VBios) and this power surge initiates protection without sufficient voltage (BlackSOD)
Try THIS SOLUTION. It helped me stabilize the system in games and stress tests:

In Adrenalin move there and get exactly that numbers in your overclocking window.  These values are universal no matter what vendor you have. Truckovsky_1-1716333365445.png

Lemme know here if it works.

If it helps share with guys who needs it too comrade.

Oh and u got the same card as me he-he

0 Likes

Guess I have to try it out, as the shop where I bought it told me to make the RMA directly with ASrock and I guess that will take a long time and is not possible for me as I am working with this computer and would have to buy a replacement card for this period...

I will let you know if it works. Going back to my AMD rig in around 2 weeks. Still would be super disappointed if capping the full potential is required to make it work.

First and last time buying everything from AMD.

Sadly your solution is the only one which works.

I am back to my 'good' rig and I replaced the mainboard and PSU. Still same error. Only works when throttling the settings like you suggested.

Last time buying an AMD GPU.

0 Likes

I didnt get this problem with 1 stick of ram or/and another videocard.
Replaced parts by brute force: 1)MB , 2)RAM and 3)PSU but problem still here. Only fix max freq near 2600 and max powerlimit to +15% eliminates this problem for me. I saw a method here in forum with turning off CPB in mBIOS but didnt even try it.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

A 8700k will starve a 7900xtx, whereas a 7900x3d will be able to fully load test the gpu. I would return the GPU for another. I don't know what the OCCT vram actually tests, but I could see system ram causing an issue too if there is an unstable OC on the memory. So the OCCT power stress test does not cause an issue?

0 Likes