cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nav441
Adept I

7900 XT Crashing with SAM ON

As above. Recently upgraded from 6800 XT to 7900 XT.

EDIT: RX 7900 XT Nitro+

Intensive games inc. Timespy were causing the GPU to freeze/crash.

Changed PSU (currently Rm1000e) with no change. Stock settings on GPU still crashed including running -10% power limit.

What got me thinking it was memory was, if I even touched the VRAM overclock. Every game would crash, even set at 2514 instead of 2500/disabled. 

So I tried disabling Expo which made no difference then I finally disabled resizable bar in the BIOS and it hasn't crashed even with a decent undervolt/overclock. 

Any VRAM overclock still causes an instant crash in anything. 

Am I just forever without SAM or VRAM overclocking now, do I wait for new drivers? Do I just RMA? 

I feel like I've had to limit the card (minor I know) to get it to perform. 

1 Solution
nav441
Adept I

UPDATE! 

The 7900 XT has been returned. 

Went with the XTX nitro. undervolted and overclocked, VRAM overclocked to 2714 (+214mhz from stock). Absolutely zero issues

SAM on as well

View solution in original post

29 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

Is this a reference 7900XT or a partner model, and if the latter which card? Does it have two 8-pin PCIe or three?

The 6800XT and 7900XT have similar power draw so I would not suspect the power supply or cabling, however are you using a single PCIe power cable with daisy-chain connectors, or individual cables for each connector?

Which Adrenalin version are you on? Have you tried previous versions?

In BIOS are Above 4G decoding and Re-sizable BAR enabled, and CSM disabled?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

thanks for the response.

7900 XT Nitro+

3 separate cables with 8 pins from the PSU to the GPU

Previous version is the same issue

4G ON / Re-Sizeable Bar Enabled and CMS Disabled causes this problem.

Current fix for me is:

4G ON / Re-sizeable bar DISABLED which fixes the crashing for me

nav441
Adept I

EDIT: 7900 XT Nitro+

FunkZ
Forerunner

Thanks for the additional detail. For comparison I have an AMD reference 7900XT on Default profile with SAM enabled on 24.4.1 and no crashing.

It seems the Sapphire NITRO+ includes an OC BIOS switch and sets higher clock speeds by default. Have you tried selecting BIOS switch setting #2 for default clock speeds OR use TriXX software utility with switch on factory #1 setting to set OC BIOS to default?

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-7900-xt-vaporx-20g-gddr6

Alternately, open a support ticket with Sapphire and see if they have additional suggestions.

0 Likes

thanks - yes, I've tried all 3 bios switches on the card. I believe default  just lets you switch in TriXX software but I tried physically switching them instead.

I feel like there's something wrong with the VRAM on the card. every overclock/undervolt I've seen online has their VRAM overclocked substantially and this one won't even budge 14mhz (2514) before artifacts and then crashing.

2500 Standard timings has been flawless for hours

That's what I understood from the description as well, position #1 allows switching via software, #2 or #3 are manual select.

If SAM works flawlessly on default clocks but crashes on OC settings I would definitely open a Sapphire support ticket.

0 Likes

apologies for the confusion. SAM does not work at stock settings either

0 Likes

Ah, sorry for the misinterpretation.

SAM crashes on any setting, card crashes on any OC setting. Sounds like an RMA is in order.

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

Did you uninstall your RX 6800 drivers with DDU / AMD Cleanup Utility? If not, I'd recommend doing so, reinstalling your current drivers, and re-testing.

I also had to disable Resizable BAR in BIOS and install 23.12.1 for stability on my RX 6800. With ReBAR enabled and 24.x.x, I'd get strange intermittent Windows lag (general computing, web browsing, even scrolling / resizing windows, etc) and BIOS lag (navigating through menu options); in games and benchmarks I'd get stutters and abnormal amounts of screen tearing.

With 23.12.1, if I have ReBAR enabled in BIOS, on initial boot into the Windows desktop, Windows will display the following message: "Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect". It does this 1 time.

With 24.x.x, if I have ReBAR enabled in BIOS, on initial boot into the Windows desktop, Windows will display the following message on 3 consecutive reboots: "Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect". On the 3rd reboot, it doesn't display the message. There's certainly a difference in the ReBAR portion of the 23.x.x drivers versus the 24.x.x drivers, at least for the RX 6800.

Capture-after-reboot.PNG

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar

do you still have it disabled? having it off loses me 10% fps in Gray Zone Warfare (UE5 Game) for example

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I do still have it disabled. You might not need to keep it disabled on your system once you've got good stability -- disabling it is just part of the troubleshooting process.

0 Likes

The motherboard bios and system memory stability plays a pivotal role in how well SAM works. Bios updated to latest? Memory confirmed to have no errors? OS checked for file integrity. Those are the easiest things to prove out first. Vram is not very easy to test but can be done with a bootable live linux distro on a usb flash drive via software run from terminal.

0 Likes

No errors and integrity repaired.

The 6800XT runs flawlessly with a vram overclock and just artifacts when it's too high. 

This card is almost dying at stock VRAM

I'm going to send it back, Sapphire came back and pretty much said start the RMA process

ollolo532
Adept I

Hi, 

I had the same problem until 10 minutes ago. My solution was to turn the RAM (G Skill) from 1.35V to 1.4V.

hope it helps

I think your Gskill is rated for 1.4v, my memory is rated for 1.35v

No mine is also rated for 1.35v

IMG_6150.jpeg

So you had an issue with touching the VRAM in adrenaline? 

And this is the only thing you did? 

Do you have resizable bar on/SAM on as well? 

Running Expo? 

0 Likes

nope

no VRAM tweak but the main problem was ReBar/SAM in my case. 
 I'm running on am4 so I have D.O.C.P. Same thing other name and yes it is active XD a bit of optimization and Expo should run. 

AMD has always had problems with RAM and this causes problems with the graphics card when SAM is active or tweaking the VRAM.

You could try it and then report back if it works

0 Likes

Apologies, just to be clear. What did 1.4v fix then if you have SAM off anyway and no VRAM overclock? 

0 Likes

XD SAM is on

i also got blackscreens with SAM on and

1.4v fixes the problem with Rebar/SAM 

you wrote „So I tried disabling Expo which made no difference then I finally disabled resizable bar in the BIOS and it hasn't crashed even with a decent undervolt/overclock.“

So 1.4v should solve problem with Expo on, SAM on and a little VRAM tweak.  

What I'm saying is focus on RAM optimization

Sorry ! now understandable ?

0 Likes

Thanks, 

Just tried 1.4v with SAM on.

Still crashes unfortunately. 

1.35v and SAM off doesn't crash. 

Can't touch VRAM in either config

Ok sounds bad 

Did you get Bluescreens ? Or instant Blackscreen and Fans at 100% ? What is Happening during the crash?

Are you using a cable mod ? Put it away.
OC GPU Bios active ? No ? Then activate = better voltage regulation
hardware acceleration on ? Turn it off !! Its a AMD killer

0 Likes

It's just a freeze. Doesn't shut down. Just becomes unresponsive and fans cycle on off. 0% GPU usage after freeze.

X3 8pin connectors (separate cables no daisy chaining)

Tried all bios modes. Just primary and secondary on this card. 

I haven't tried turning off hardware accelerated gpu scheduling if that's what you mean? It's been on whilst using 6800xt rock solid.?

Edit: tried it and it still crashes unfortunately 

And the other cables ? Pcie Riser or cpu cable mod 

yeah gpu scheduling is what i mean. 

any background programs like HYDRA or iCUE Running ?

0 Likes

Just as an update.

Went with the XTX nitro and it's undervolted and overclocked, VRAM over clocked to 2714 (+214mhz from stock). Absolutely zero issues

Absolute beast of a card

Have Fun with the XTX its a great card

0 Likes
nav441
Adept I

UPDATE! 

Went with the XTX nitro. undervolted and overclocked, VRAM overclocked to 2714 (+214mhz from stock). Absolutely zero issues

SAM on as well

Glad to hear. Enjoy!

0 Likes
czxe7
Adept I

do you notice alot better of performance after overclocking or is it like a gain of 6 fps type difference

0 Likes