cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

GERU
Journeyman III

7900 GRE can't run CS 1.6 (OpenGL)?

Hey, I've just tried to play CS 1.6 on the 7900 GRE - all I get is a big black screen.

I've tried all the possible fixes I could find for this and the only one that "works" is to set the launch option to -software (overwrites the default OpenGL). This is not a fix however, as the game can only run on very low resolutions and very low FPS (also looks like s**t)

This was not an issue on my previous VEGA 56, so I'm guessing this problem is specific to the 7900 GRE or just the latest driver version (24.6.1).
Anyone else having trouble with CS 1.6? Or other OpenGL in general? I really want to play some GG

0 Likes
1 Solution
peruka93
Staff

Could you please test the most recent Adrenalin 24.7.1?

View solution in original post

5 Replies

can you post an image of GPU-Z for your GPU card?

At the bottom of GPU-Z see which version of OpenGL is showing and it is enabled by a check mark.

It should show version 4.6. IF it shows version 1.1 than that would be your problem.  This is a issue that has popped up here at AMD Forums in the past. But if it is showing OpenGL 4.6 and all the other API's are correctly check marked then you need to give more information like:

1- Your PC information Make & Model and BIOS and Windows and AMD driver versions installed.

2- Any error messages or crashes when starting or playing the game?

3- Any errors in Device Manager?

4- Does it only happen if that one specific game only and if so check to see if there are any updates.

5- Make sure  Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

6-Use DDU to remove all traces of the previous AMD driver before updating the driver again.

7-Go to these gaming site and see if you have the proper hardware and driver to run that game:

a- System Requirements Lab.com - Can I Run It 

b-Game Debate - Can I Run It 

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for the answer.
GPU-Z shows OpenGL 4.6 checked, and everything else except CUDA and PhysX
Latest BIOS, Windows updates and everything, no errors in D Manager
Also no errors anywhere else, just CS 1.6 not working with OpenGL
I am quite certain I meet the minimum requirements for CS 1.6  Ryzen 9 5900X, 7900 GRE, 32GB RAM.
I have used DDU before installing the 7900

As I said, I have tried every single "fix" I could find online: launch options with -windowed -normal -w 800, nofbo -nomsaa -gl_vsync 0, -console -dxlevel 90 -windowed, -console -dxlevel 90 -windowed -nofbo etc.
reinstalled the game, verified files, also deleted the Half Life folder in regedit, compatibility mode with Win XP/7/8, nothing seems to work.

I've never had an issue like this I couldn't resolve, so I'm really stumped here. I suspect it's an issue specific to this driver or GPU model

0 Likes

If you believe it might be a specific issue with OpenGL in the AMD Driver try posting your question at the new AMD OpenGL/Vulcan Forum at Github where is was moved recently from AMD forums from here: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMD-Gfx-Drivers

I would also open a Support ticket at the game's developer website and also at AMD SUPPORT from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Since it is only in that one game then it could be an issue with the game itself or a game setting or Radeon setting that is causing the problem or simply something is not compatible between the AMD driver and the game. Thus making sure you have the latest patch for the game installed.

I mentioned DDU to erase the old previous AMD driver that isn't compatible with the 7900GRE AMD driver.  Make sure you delete if still created C:\AMD folder before installing the current AMD Driver.

From the Release Notes for the latest AMD Driver for the 7900GRE GPU: https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/release-notes/RN-RAD-WIN-24-6-1.html

It mentions a new Anti-Lag feature for Counterstrike which might be the cause of your problem:

AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 Support for Counter-Strike 2

• Takes responsive gaming to the next level by introducing an in-game option to optimally pace frames, further reducing input lag on AMD RDNA architecture-based discrete and integrated graphics products.
    • Get a decrease in latency in Counter-Strike 2 of up to 40% with AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 at 4K on the AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 GRE graphics card. RS-647
    • Get a decrease in latency in Counter-Strike 2 of up to 27% with AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 at 1080p on the AMD Ryzen™ 7 8700G processor with AMD Radeon™ 780M graphics. RS-651
  • Learn more about AMD Anti-Lag 2 HERE.

What to Know

• AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2
    • Anti-Lag 2 will be enabled by default in the Counter-Strike 2 “ADVANCED VIDEO” settings menu.
    • Anti-Lag 2 unlocks improved responsiveness by adding in-game pacing of the CPU with the GPU, particularly in GPU-intensive scenarios.
      • For more information on how to use Anti-Lag 2 and measure latency click HERE.