cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

EmilG
Adept III

7900 GPU VR quick tip

I've stumbled across something that has helped VR performance for me tremendously with my 7900xt. I use a PC VR headset, so it's wired and plugged into my PC. A Cosmos Elite.

I was getting very bad VR performance, as has been noted by my many complaints here, when I upgraded to the 7900 series GPUs. After many hours, day after day of troubleshooting, I figured that the bad performance was a symptom of running VR games in windowed mode. When I changed the in game resolution to full screen, performance some what came back. 

I then realised that windows 11 has a new feature that optimises windowed games that utilise dx10 and dx11 engines. So that in windowed mode, it will get similar performance to full screen.

So I updated to windows 11, and I had to enable windowed optimisation from the settings (you can google how to do this), and now 100% of my VR games are running great again. I tried h3vr, rfactor 2, MX bikes, Richard burns rally, and they are all running really great in VR again. Automobilista 2 is a game that I still have to run in full screen mode, but it now runs very well. 

In windows 10, my gpu usage was always at 100% in every VR game and constantly stuttering and dropping frames and only running at about 70fps. Now, in win11, GPU usage has gone down to about 80%, which has allowed me to bump up the graphics settings and also bump up the super sampling resolution, and it still runs perfectly at my head sets hz which is 90. All games now, for me are running perfectly at 90fps.

So I'd recommend for everyone with VR headsets to upgrade to win11 and enable windowed optimisation.

I know there's further improvements to be made by AMD for their drivers, but so far it's working great again. Im using AMD driver 23.3.1

0 Likes
0 Replies