cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Sir_Fridge
Journeyman III

7800xt stutters on desktop

Newly bought 7800xt stutters on desktop. I tried everything including disabling ftmp as described here.

I even reinstalled windows and it stuttered even without the driver installed. Installing it didn't help at all. 

The previous gpu was a 2060 super that randomly crashed in games but not in benchmarks. Right when starting the games. Everything pointed to an instablity in the GPU hence the upgrade to a 7800xt. However a clean install of windows with or without driver installed has the cursor skipping across the screen and any audio crackles. This includes the simple ping audio from windows. No weird spikes or dips in can be seen in task manager. 

Furthermore the screen flashes green once or twice before the bios splashscreen that allows you to go into the bios. 

Lastly occasionally the entire gpu driver won't start and attempting to start adrenalin gives an error that the driver is not supported by adrenalin. Disabling and enabling the gpu in device manager fixes this. But stuttering keeps happening.

By now I'm basically convinced that the gpu is just defective. I received it litterally two days ago and it only worked well once. 

I have not yet tried other gpu's in the system since that requires my taking the entire motherboard out of the pc. For some reason, when in the case, the pcie lock won't disengage. 

specs:

cpu: AMD 3600x 

psu: coolermaster 550W (I'm aware that this is low. I have used psu calculators before upgrading which indicated no issues. The system did manage to run monster hunter world for an hour completely without issues right before it began to stutter.)

ram: 16gb ddr4

mobo: asus prime x470 pro

2 1080p monitors. one displayport, the other hdmi through a dvi adapter.

gpu: Gigabyte Radeon RX 7800 XT GAMING OC 16G 

0 Likes
3 Replies
bigbadamduser
Journeyman III

My fix:

Open the taskmanager, terminate all "AMD SOFTWARE" and "RADEON SETTINGS" tasks.

Afterwards, without rebooting, right-click on the Desktop and start the AMD Software again.

No more stuttering.

You have to scroll down a bit in the Taskmanager to find them all. Some start with "AMD Software" and some start with "Radeon Settings".

After you restarted the AMD Software that way, there should be no more stuttering, but it might come back. In that case, just repeat the process.

Furthermore I would check if you use already the High Power Energy Mode of Windows. Or even the Ultimate Powerplan.

0 Likes

I tried that. Didn't work. It even stutters on a fresh windows install with the amd software not even installed. I contacted the seller and send the card back as defective. 

0 Likes
daphne_colson
Journeyman III

While I feel for your situation, Sir_Fridge, the 550W PSU might be cutting it close for a 7800XT, especially with overclocking (OC) features on the Gaming OC model. It could explain some of the instability. Maybe try undervolting the card in AMD Adrenaline if a different PSU isn't an option right now?

0 Likes