cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

copperhead
Journeyman III

7800 display drivers crash and stop working after reboot

Im experiencing recurring black screen crashes with my setup. The Crashes used to happen once a week, but now they happen every session. 

• I launch a game. everything seems fine
  • 5-10 mins in, my monitor suddenly loses connection. I have to reboot by hitting the power button on my case
  • upon launching a new game, my graphics are at rock bottom (overwatch displays a message to the affect of "display device lost")
    • I have seen many posts about blackscreen crashes, but none of them mention the drivers being broken after reboot. 
  • if i reinstall the graphics drivers for my AMD graphics card, then the graphics will return to normal until the crash happens again.

Ive been reinstalling my drivers by rerunning the amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24.1.1-combined-minimalsetup-240122_web.exe. ive also tried uninstalling my drivers with the AMD cleanup utility, but have had no luck fixing the crash. 

also, here are some of my parts:

• graphics card: Ryzen 7800 XT
  • motherboard: MSI Pro b60P wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 7700X
  • Memory: the SSD I pulled out of the laptop I used in high school

0 Likes
3 Replies
copperhead
Journeyman III

the website in the popup tells me to run the compatibility tool. the compatibility tool tells me everything is ok. 

copperhead_0-1710093584309.png

this sucks

0 Likes

almost forgot to mention, the graphics driver is failing with a generic code 31 error. since i did fresh reinstalls, rolling back the driver isnt an option

copperhead_1-1710093915192.png

(I pulled my graphics card out to see if reinstalling while its out would solve anything. it unfortunately didnt. 

0 Likes

Ok i think i figured it out. if this thread goes dead then just assume this was the solution.

1. pull out your graphics card
  2. run the cleanup utility and do a fresh install of the adrenaline edition. 
  3. reboot
  4. (note, at this point, you are still going to have the crashes, keep going) open the device manager and go to the AMD radeon graphics driver
  5. you should now have the option to roll this driver back. do that, and it will now show the generic Microsoft driver (at this point, the graphical glitches stopped)
  6. reinstall your graphics card. upon boot, you should see the radeon driver and your graphics card in the display adapters dropdown.
  7. boot up a game. see if you still got a problem.

Im not sure if all steps are necessary, but removing the graphics card definitely is. 

0 Likes