Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

CaptNoFun
Journeyman III

6950XT High temp issues

Hello AMD Forum, 

I purchased the AMD store bundle of the 5800X3D and 6950xt back in December.  I just finally got around to refreshing my system.  Here's my specs: Gigabyte B450 Wi-Fi pro itx, Gskill 32gb 3600 (XMP on), EVGA 1000watt PSU, 2TB intel 660 SSD, 240 cooler master AIO and the 2 new add ons.  I was originally running a Ryzen 7 3800 and 2070 Super.  So here the issue, it overheats, I know, you haven't heard this one before.  110c hotspot and 70c gpu temp.  What I've ended up doing is running the card on a custom fan curve, no overclocking just fast memory timing and vsyncing games to lower the demand on the card netting me about a 95 hot spot.  Running 1440p at 144hz with SAM enabled.  The card is fast but the hot spot temp has me freaking out.  If I even touch the power limit slider it's like a nuclear thermal run away.  I've even adjusted the case fans, all 5 of them to ramp higher than normal to help feed the card more fresh air.  I've come to the conclusion that AMD doesn't seem to give a **** about this issue and states that smoker grill temps are normal.  The question I have is has anyone tried to repaste and pad this card and has it made any difference?  Or is the cooler just to small for the card?  I understand it would void the warranty and thats why I'm trying to research if its worth it.  But at these temps I might want to keep the warranty, I'm sure I'll be using it.  Thanks for reading and any advise.

0 Likes
3 Replies
digipointer0
Adept III

It is not uncommon for high-end graphics cards like the AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT to run hot, especially under heavy loads. However, the temperatures you are mention here particularly the 110°C hotspot temperature, are indeed concerning and may cause performance issues or even hardware damage over time. Before considering repasting or padding the card, it is important to ensure that it is properly seated in the PCIe slot and that the cooler is mounted securely and making good contact with the GPU die. Also, check that your case has adequate airflow and that there are no obstructions to the intake or exhaust fans.

If you have already verified that everything is properly installed and your case has good airflow, then repasting and padding the card may be worth a try. This can potentially improve the heat dissipation from the GPU die to the cooler, which may help lower the hotspot temperature.

However, as you mentioned, doing so will void the warranty, so it is important to weigh the potential benefits against the risks. It is also important to note that improper application of thermal paste or pads can cause more harm than good, so it may be best to seek the assistance of a professional if you are not experienced in this type of work.

Ultimately, if you are still experiencing overheating issues after trying these solutions, you may want to consider reaching out to AMD customer support for further assistance or possibly even returning the card for a replacement.

0 Likes
CaptNoFun
Journeyman III

I did a little more tinkering and after some undervolting was able to get the card to run at high 90% utilization with around 85 to 95 degree temps.  It seems to like 1.2v anything above that and temp climbs pretty quick.  I was also able for the most part to get a locked in 2550mhz on the core.  I wasn't very happy with my choice to move all AMD at first but after spending some time with it, all seems to be coming around nicely.  

0 Likes

Hey man I have the Radeon 6950xt and have done A LOT of testing on it and here's what I have to help you out. 1890 to 2310 Mhz on min-max and 2310 Mhz on vram. That's the clock speeds for this card. I honestly recommend using them. I'll tell you about that in a sec. Power, POWER is the cause of the heat. So, IDK if you remember but you use to be able to control the mV more precise in previous editions of cards, but anyway, you have the voltage and the power limit. The power limit, anything more than 0 is + more than, I'd say required, people with argue but if you look at it like that it's easier to understand. AMD cards do have power spikes sometimes, so my recommendation is never going over 10 ok, and that is more for if you go over the 2310 boost clock speed, understand? Ok so the voltage. There is no need to go over 1.1 or 1100 mV for the boost clock, honestly you can as low as 1060, 1040, BUT every build is different so 1.1/ 1100 mV is money. I NEVER go over 70c. So, my question is, how high is your Max freq set at? The other thing if you are the type of person that runs at default or one of the performance options then custom is the way to go but from reading what you wrote, your obviously not. If you are gaming, there is no reason to go over the recommended boost clock of 2310. This card is powerful and 2310 is good clock. Now, if you wanna go higher, I don't recommend going over 2500. Anything about that, you WILL have problems, it might be something small here and there, but you might overlook it as something else, but it's the clock speed, understand. Here is my fan setup, at times that I game, NOT default. Fan 25/ T 30+Fan 31/ T 45+Fan 43/ T54+Fan 64/ T 60+Fan 100/ T 78. If you have any issue's, hit me up. Drew

0 Likes