Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Cnoz
Journeyman III

6900xt poor perfomance

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and not the greatest PC builder.

I've purchased a Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT GAMING OC 16G.

But i've been finding the performance quite underwhelming from what I expected.

which could mean that there's either a massive bottleneck within my system or that there's some other (driver?) Issue (or a faulty card)? I'm certain that my CPU bottlenecking a little, but to have performance this bad....

I've been trying to run Cyberpunk 2077 and only get around 40-50 fps with no ray tracing on and some other games are running below 100 fps like Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves and RDR2 all on ultra settings except Apex.

I'm playing 1440P on an ultrawide.

Some specs.

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT GAMING OC 16G (Drivers updated)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 2x8 GB (have them in the 2nd and 4th slot)

MOBO: B450A PRO MAX (Latest flash and have smart memory access enabled)

Now the GPU is running at 100% at games like CB2077 which is why i don't think the CPU is bottlenecking that hard, because that isn't running 100%

My old GTX 1070 was running it worse but it isn't as big of a difference as I would've thought.

Hopefully someone could help me figure out the problem.

0 Likes
3 Replies
jay1131
Adept III

What is your corsair vengeance rated for? Are you trying xmp or your own settings with the volts set to what it says on the ram? I honestly feel you are bottlenecked by the cpu because i use a 3600x and 6900xt because i play at 2160p and i get those frames at that resolution because it takes more of the cpu out of the equation and levels the playing field with alot of cpus. As far as things to try you could see if changing the profile for the gpu helps and see if something is messing with it. Try from default to auto undervolt to balanced to rage and manual if you feel comfortable. Also could try changing resolution in game or vsr to see if it stays the same. That would implicate something holding it back. I noticed you said you run most the games on ultra which is your preference and you paid for a 6900xt so its understandable but most of the time those are diminishing returns so im sure red dead 2 has a optimization  video for that reason and many other games like cyberpunk has diminishing return problems. Hope this is a good starting point to help.

0 Likes
BrockFraley
Journeyman III

Your CPU is bottlenecking for sure. Also, your ram could be as well. I am using 3200 ddr4 and my son has the exact same system as I do except he upgraded to 4000 ddr and he now gets about 15fps more than I do, on most games. My wife has the same system as I do, except she runs a 3900x, and she get about 10fps less than me. So I can tell you for certain that a CPU below 3900x level and ram speed 3200 ddr4 will bottleneck the card.

I've installed a fresh new GPU into my box and somehow the FPS isn't really all that hot. The card doesn't heat up above some 40-45°C but the CPU runs warm at 70°C.

Running the radeon-profile app tells me the base clocks are.. Really base. The core clock stays at 1500 and the memory clock at 1000.. Those are practically the values my old R9 290 was able to hit.

Running stuff on Windows provides a noticeable improvement in performance and most stuff runs at >100 FPS with max settings yet Skyrim on Linux is trotting along like a 3-legged horse. For a better comparison Dota2 which is Linux native does manage to run up to some 120fps but stutters a lot.

Is there something I'm missing in general configuration or what? Hope someone has some idea.

0 Likes