cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Missing290
Journeyman III

6600XT Color Banding

Hello, sorry, struggling to post on your forum. My first was immediatly marked as spam. It gave me an error and then posted my numbered list in a weird format so I tried to correct it. That's spam I guess.

My 6600xt has bad colorbanding everywhere I look and feels like a step back from my R9 290 in this regard. Video, pictures, desktop and especially games have color banding. I have come to learn that AMD decided to drop dithering support with the 6000 series cards? Is this true? If so, AMD please reconsider this decision and resume support. The issue of correcting color banding is a bit too complicated for some gamers. Most threads I've come across about this issue during my research have ended in frustration and sometimes insults. One, about this exact card, ended in the user selling his computer for a PS5. The most common advice given to people who can't stand color banding on most tech support threads seems to actually be “get an AMD card” Not anymore? Also, does AMD read these forums, should I be contacting them somewhere else?

Here is what I have done in an attempt to correct the issue (not necessarily in this order).

-Selected any pixel depth and color format option I had available. They all look the same.
-Removed ICC profile.
-Ran windows screen caliberation.
-experimented with various drivers.
-Clean install of driver with DDU.
-Tried all ports on the GPU. HDMI and DP.
-changed cables.
-tried 4 different monitors.
-Disabled Windows Calibration Loader.
-Ubuntu
- Tech support. (They laughed and told me to get a CRT monitor if I dislike banding. I'm being gaslit now lol. No, graphics have not always looked like this since we stopped using CRT.)

Is there anything more that I can do? Thank you for reading.

5 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The instances where I experienced color banding it was related to the display and the type of display it was using, TN in my case was causing the banding so I switched to an IPS panel. Color banding is not something that changed due to a GPU being replaced by another. 

When I had my issue the banding was present with my Nvidia GTX 1660 Super, my RX 5600 XT, and my RX 6800 XT. The fix was a monitor replacement. 

TN have really fast response times, but in my experience had bad color banding, where IPS have slightly slower response times with little to no color banding. I gave VA panels a try and they had the absolute worst ghosting I had seen in any display. I could not feel the response time difference in the IPS vs the TN panel, so I sold my TN panel for a high refresh rate IPS panel. 

If you do choose to replace your display, do your research. Read reviews when available and try to speak with people who are using the type of display you are looking for. This helped me choose my current display and avoid any pitfalls with other displays that have known issues.

The only thing I will say outright is that most people don't need 240hz displays. I spent way too much money on mine and while it is an amazing display I should have settled with 144hz, since I don't play esports in any capacity.

I hope this helps with your situation. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Missing290
Journeyman III

Thank you for the reply. Maybe I should mention that the difference here is two machines, both I was going for 1080p 60. One was a Windows 7 machine with the R9 290 card. The other is a windows 10 machine with the 6600xt. I would like to get back the way the R9 beautifully displayed on my win 7 machine. Wishing I hadn't gotten rid of it. This is the same monitor so it's difficult for me to understand why my old card was so effective at making it look good but my new one is lacking. I started looking into dithering and color banding but it's hard to understand. This is the “monitor” I'm using - https://support.vizio.com/s/article/M401i-A3-Model-Information?language=en_US

It says here, that it should be a 10 bit monitor. Windows 10 only sees it as 8 bit, and I'm unable to figure out why. Could this be the issue? Since I never saw issues like this in Win 7, I didn't even think to check how it recognized the monitor there. Edit:Nvm, found the answer to my own question. Just an error in the way Windows displays this.

Thank you for the link. I will try contacting support. I hope they write back.

Okay first thing you should try is going into AMD Adrenalin, Click on the cog, and go to display. There should be color depth settings there. Try turning it to 10bit. 

I honestly haven't used a TV as a display for gaming in a very long time. The only thing I could think of that would possibly be a cause, is Windows 11 not recognizing the device because it is so old. I mean this thing released in 2013. That would really be the only reason I could see there being issues.

I'm having trouble finding out what panel this display uses. 

0 Likes

I'm having the same issue with the RTX 3080 with the AW3423DW monitor but I definitely think its the GPU because I used the ps5 with the monitor and I got no color banding. I have been trying to fix this issue for a year now and I have yet to find out a way to fix this problem so if anyone has any possible way to fix this I'm all yours because I have literally tried everything 

0 Likes