cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gugen
Adept I

5700 XT games keep crashing amdwddmg error

Games keep crashing when i play them. not all games only some. i have never had an issue with riot games but steam games will crash even small ones and most recently overwatch 2. the crashes are at random times , normally my game freezes both monitors go black , game will crash then im back on my desktop , sometimes it fully  freezes and requires me to restart the computer. i get the amdwddmg error soemtimes in event viewer and when overwatch crashes it says rendering devices failed. 

i have replaced my ram and power supply , have unistalled drivers , gone back to previous drivers. fully reset my computer. pulled the computer apart and cleaned it. all my temps seem to be normal. nothing has helped so far and the issue continues to happen. nothing has been overclocked or modified.

any help would be greatly appreactied!

Specs 

GPU: 5700 xt 

cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600x 6 core 

ram: kingston furry 16gX2 3200hz 

PSU: corsair RM1000e

0 Likes
6 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Is it a new computer for you, has it always done that or just started?

Install hwinfo64, run with admin privileges (sensors only), play game, check temperatures or copy paste  a picture here. You can also monitor temp in-game (ctrl+shift+o durubg gameplay if you have radeon software installed when you installed drivers). Junction temp shouldf not go over 100 C atleast.

Does 'fully reset the computer' mean you did a clean install after formatting drive, or that you used reinstall on top of old installation? While I think you have done almost everything, to make asbsolutely sure there are no remnants of old drivers, I would try a clean install after formatting.

Since problems are not present in every game, there is a chance there is a bug in some software, which will be fixed. Remember to send error data to AMD (a bug icon in top right corner of Radeon software) and Steam (Help - Steam support - choose the game that crashed and so on).

0 Likes

so i have tracked the temps and havent seen them go over 70. i did the remove everything option in the recovery area of windows. im not the best with this sort of thing so i may not have done the right reset. its the pc isnt new about 3 years old but with new PSU and RAM. its been happening for a little while but didnt really notice as RIOT games werent effected and thats all i really played at the time , i had smaller indy steams games start to crash and didnt think much of it but now playing overwatch 2 its crashing at just random times , sometimes 1 game in other times 8 games in. i have sent error data most times. 

0 Likes

Can you try with old RAM sticks only? If not, try running the computer with one stick of RAM at a time. If you now use both old and new sticks, it is important that slower sticks are in primary slots as this dictates what memory speed computer uses. If faster sticks are in primary slots, motherboard forces slower sticks to run at same speed and they might become unstable.

Can you try with old PSU? Just remember, thast you can't use powercables of one PSU with another PSU! While plugs are identical, wiring is not. Always use only the cables that came with that PSU and nothing else!

(what is your motherboard brand and model?)

0 Likes

so it was crashing with the old ram and old psu. i replace the ram first , problem still occurred. old pcu was a 650 cougar which is a on the weaker side for what i needed so upgraded to a 1000w corsair and still have the issue. this picture is the stats as it crashed and nothing is out of the ordinary and i also got this in event viewer Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 

PXL_20221015_103332261.jpg

0 Likes

1) Go to Steam, select a game that crashes, right clight, properties, local files, verify integrity of game files

2) Try with Smart access memory off (from radeon software)

3) For testing, you could also lower clockspeed of GPU way down to see if it does anything, like 1755 MHz for P3 as 1755 MHz is the official "game clock" speed of 5700XT and boost is 1905 MHz.

MADZyren_0-1665835372014.png

I think many brands overclocked 5700XT's way too much

If this works, I'd set P3 to 1905 and if that fixes the problem then good. If not

4) Flash BIOS to latest, do a clean reinstall of Windows after formatting harddrive, download drivers from AMD's website, let Windows update itself, reboot, update, reboot, update, then install Steam from scratch and some game that used to crash.

Do not install any antivirus, ccleaner, armory crate, recording/streaming software, nothing. Install everything on drive C. Make sure you don't have any USB harddrives or other gizmos installed, only keyboard and mouse. Make sure GPU is plugged all the way in and PCIe powercables are connected properly.

If doesn't work, something is likely broken

0 Likes

ive change the mHz abd will see if that helps. Smart access memory isnt available for me to change. i am going to try updating the motherboard bios with the other required steps and see it that also helps. if not im gonna assume the mother board or gpu have an issue and will have to get it looked at