cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

20.9.1 driver crashing on 5700 XT in multiple games

I haven't had any issues with my 5700XT, other than the initial drivers when the card was launched, until recently. Currently using the 20.9.1 driver which I rolled back to after issues first popped up with the newest driver, however I am still experiencing game crashes.

First Civ V started crashing - a game I have never had problems with with over 3k hours of play time. Then D3 started crashing, although much less frequently; and then Wolcen started crashing. I fixed the first issue by verifying integrity of files, but that is not the issue w/Wolcen. It could be the game and not the driver, but the game engine has long been optimized for AMD. As for Civ, the game is currently ok, but what caused the files to get corrupted in the first place? D3 crashes much less often and friends have mentioned their D3 games crashing also while using nV cards; but while typing this my Radeon software stopped working!

I have no driver features enabled other than Freesync and Freesync is also enabled on my monitor.

Other than the vid card and the RAM, my sys is about 4 years old and has been 100% stable:

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 (BIOS: AMI F4 08/26/16)
Intel i5-6600K @4.4GHz on water
16GB (2x8) G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CAS 16
EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT (the card is running at stock speeds of 1815 clock/1750 mem, boost clock is 1925)
LG 34UC79G Ultrawide 144Hz connected via Display Port
Radeon Driver 20.9.1
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

3x120mm Intake Fans, 3x120mm Exhaust Fans altho 2x120 exhaust are on rad, so slightly positive airflow on the intake

Idle Temps/Gaming Temps in Celsius

CPU 28/50
GPU 34/55
Chipset 38/42
VRM 34/36

Vcore remains constant at 1.344V whether idle or gaming.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Current driver is Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1 
Try that. 
Use DDU to remove old drivers.
See: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238#M13454...
Try Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1 with Factory Reset Option turned on. 

0 Likes

@colesdav wrote:

Current driver is Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1 
Try that. 
Use DDU to remove old drivers.
See: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238#M13454...
Try Adrenalin 2020 20.12.1 with Factory Reset Option turned on. 

erm.. I stated that my problems began w/the newest driver. I couldn't recall the exact number and I couldn't bring it up as my driver software had crashed while writing the post. I don't need a program to remove old drivers for me. As for Factory Reset Option, there is nothing turned on in drivers except for Freesync which I also stated in my post. Not AMD Optimized, just Freesync.

0 Likes

RE: erm.. I stated that my problems began w/the newest driver. I couldn't recall the exact number and I couldn't bring it up as my driver software had crashed while writing the post.

Adrenalin 20.12.1 is very recent and since you did not say I suggested that one.
Adrenalin 2021 will likely launch very soon.  

RE: I don't need a program to remove old drivers for me.
Yes you do. See the link.

RE: As for Factory Reset Option, there is nothing turned on in drivers except for Freesync which I also stated in my post. Not AMD Optimized, just Freesync.

Factory reset runs AMDCleanuputility.exe and sets some Windows registry  options to prevent  Windows from downloading the wrong "Microsoft AMD Driver" .  It is worth a try as a starter for 10.

Since you do not need any help I go away. 
Good luck anyhow.

0 Likes