cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

noplan
Journeyman III

0 MHZ VRAM Bug (Windows 11, RX 6700XT)

I have an annoying and strange bug: after some time in Windows (browsing, emails and other normal things), the VRAM clock of my RX 6700XT shows 0 Mhz and the power consumption increases, sometimes to more than 20W (so the fans turn on after a while). Rarely it shows some clock again after some time, but usually it stays at 0 Mhz. I can turn Freesync off and on for the 144 Hz monitor, then it works again for some time or I turn the monitor off and on, but after a while it shows 0 Mhz again.

My configuration is:

2 monitors:

• 1x Samsung S24F350, 1080p, 60 Hz connected via HDMI
  • 1x Medion Erazer MD21473 with 1440p, 144 Hz, connected via DP, adaptive sync is turned on (when I turn it of, the VRAM clock is constant at 2000 Mhz).

The problem has existed since I have the system (maybe 2 years) and seems therefore not dependent on the driver version or the Windows version. It was there in Windows 10 and now in Windows 11 after a fresh install.

0 Likes
3 Replies
SH84u
Journeyman III

Here I have the problem, too.

My system:

Ryzen 9 5900X

XFX RX 6800

Legion Y27q-30 at 165 Hz

If I set monitor at 120 Hz or less, the vram clock won't go to zero,

above it will after some time.

Until it gets resolved I use 120 Hz on desktop and 165 Hz when gaming.

0 Likes

Hi, Noplan it seems like the issue you're experiencing with the VRAM clock showing 0 MHz on your RX 6700XT might be related to how the GPU handles multiple monitors with different refresh rates. Since the problem occurs after some time and is temporarily resolved by toggling FreeSync or turning the monitor off and on, it's possible that this is a power management or display synchronization issue.

One potential solution you can try is to ensure that both monitors are running at the same refresh rate if possible, as mixed refresh rates can sometimes cause instability in the GPU's clock management. If this isn't feasible, you might want to experiment with disabling FreeSync altogether or adjusting the power management settings in the AMD Radeon software to see if it helps stabilize the VRAM clock.

Additionally, keeping your GPU drivers updated and ensuring that your system's power settings are configured for high performance could also mitigate this issue. If the problem persists, consider reaching out to AMD support for a more detailed analysis.

0 Likes
noplan
Journeyman III

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

In conclusion, I can say that the Medion Erazer display was not fully VESA compatible, which leads to the problems I had (and according to some forums, other people have with their systems). The monitor itself was not faulty (I replaced it with the same model and the problem was still there).

I bought another monitor and don't use the Medion anymore and everything works fine now, even with the very different settings on both monitors (1080p@60 Hz and 1440p@165 Hz).

0 Likes