cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

john1000
Adept II

X370 needs Zen3 too!

We were the early adopters and pioneers for the AM4 socket. We bought with the promise of support throughout the AM4 socket life (*). As long as future processors were electrically compatible, we were going to be able to upgrade them with our existing AM4 X370 motherboards.

As pioneers, we had to work through a lot of pain to get to stability and I went through an endless stream of bios updates, RMAing my CPU (in the case of compiling code & the “marginality” problem), and system hang’s when idle running Linux (c6 cstate bug.) I worked though all of these problems and now have two stable x370 systems at home.

Some people will say, X370 is so old, why would I even expect AMD to support it? I’ve had these motherboards for less than 3 years, I don’t think I’m being unreasonable for them to support these boards for 3 years from the date they were replaced by X470. Heck, there’s hardly any difference between X370 & X470. What ever system AMD will be using to support X470 for Zen3 will work fine for X370.

To AMD: My complaints and others should be viewed as a compliment. The fact that so many people want to upgrade to your next product release says how much market perception has changed over the last 3 years.

So, show some final love to your X370 pioneers.  Give us Zen3.

(*) This might not be technically true, but my own interpretation of past events relating to the initial release reviews and marketing from AMD.  If you disagree, I will not argue the point.

75 Replies

Re: X370 needs Zen3 too!

Sadly they're not going to do it else they would have announced it back with they said they'd do it for the X470/B450. Heck, it's going to be interesting to see if Renoir, which is Zen 2 based, support even makes it to the 300 series since they depend on the more budget oriented B series due to the lack of display ports on most X series boards. We got shafted and it seems the only reprieve may be if a class action lawsuit is filed...

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I tend to buy new motherboards more often than processors.

The X570 is a good platform for gaming and so far no game is unplayable.

0 Likes
john1000
Adept II

On an episode of Broken Silicon (from Moore's Law is Dead) published on May 26th says he's hearing Zen 3 will come to select X370 boards. You can find the podcast here:  Intel 10900K v R9 3900XT, Unreal Engine 5 v Fanboys | A Tale of Two Flame Wars | Broken Silicon 50 -...  and that bit starts at 14:13.

I've been listening to his stuff for over a year now and he's pretty good at finding these things out.

I wouldn't doubt some of the OEMs would try to take the BIOS provided to them for the X470 boards and attempt to engineer it for their X370 models, at least the high end ones. It would improve their standing in the motherboard market hierarchy, though at only four manufacturers it's not like there's much choice to begin with. Even then it's going to be questionable as to if you should actually use it given AMD's lack of support...

0 Likes
john1000
Adept II

At work, my company purchased an X570/Ryzen 3900x/Nvidia GTX 2060 Super workstation for me.  I've never been able to get the GTX 2060 working reliably with it on Linux and had to purchase a GT1030 card in the meantime.  It looks like some incompatibility with X570.  You can read the saga here:  Random Xid 61 and Xorg lock-up - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums .  A lot of people have been reporting this.  Most fixed it by going back to a Pascal based Nvidia card or replacing their motherboard with a B450 or X470.  Ultimately, it's probably a software issue since I don't think Windows people have been reporting these kinds of issues.

Besides that, it's been a very stable and fast system.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have seen widespread problems with some distributions of Linux on Ryzen.  I only have a GTX 1060 available but I only used Linux server which is a console UI only and that does not use a GUI so integrated is fine.

0 Likes
tivook
Adept I

I definitely think X370 or at least the very top models from each manufacturer should get Support for Zen 3.

Why not AMD? I mean really, give us enthusiasts the option at least with no flashback.

The whole reason I stuck with AMD all these years is because of socket lifespan and the fact that you could upgrade cpus without replacing the motherboard and in these dire times where the enviroment is the number one issue how on earth could you stop people from continuing using their old motherboards when it's technically possible to support Zen 3?

I'd understand if it wasn't possible but technically it IS possible so please don't become Intel or you'll suffer the same fate.

oile
Adept I

I have bought a Crosshair VI and a x370 taichi. I've suffered all kind of problems at launch with my 1600. Still today with a 3600 I have a crippled bios with no per ccx overclock and same settings in multiple places wich may or may not override.

On crosshair VI I do have spi bios flashback on board without cpu installed.

AMD would simply have to enable a pciid check bypass to have ryzen 4000 only bios on 16mb x370 bios.

not only it is possible but I demand it. 

I have bought as an early pioneer being promised in 2017 support through 2020. As I'm a lawyer, I would sue AMD if they don't respect their own original marketing.

Give the option of a beta bios with desclaimer or even a beta agesa usable by modders at user's own risks. 

jesaul
Adept I

Well, I own top ASUS board C6H. If it will not support next Zen generation, I will go to second hand market for 3700x or 3900x and will not bring any more money to AMD and partners in 4 years.