cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Fpress96
Adept I

Windows not booting and USB ports not working

TUF X570-Plus motherboard, Ryzen 5 5600x CPU and Aero Geforce RTX 2070 graphics card. So I basically did a build for my son about 3 moths ago. Everything worked great until 2 weeks ago. This is all fairly new to me so I will try to explain the best I can. Upon hitting the power button everything lights up internally and CPU, GPU and case fans are running. What isn't working however are the USB ports (keyboard and mouse) and Windows not loading. The monitor does wake up and turn dark gray but nothing else. Without a keyboard I can't get into BIOS. I hooked the keyboard to a laptop and it worked fine. If someone could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting that would be great. Thanks!

5 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

To me it looks a lot like you have a hard drive problem.  Something got reformatted, corrupted, deleted, or the drive has gone bad.

if you have another drive with windows installed, such as the laptop you mentioned, remove it from that machine and disconnect the current drive and replace it with one that you know works.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi there,
Just start the computer with the panel open and look at this spot, it has 4 little LED that will tell you exactly where the problem is.

johnnyenglish_1-1680560750072.png

johnnyenglish_0-1680560625038.png

The alternative way is to get one of these

johnnyenglish_2-1680560842143.png

And connect it here, it should then do a combo of long and short beeps that will tell you even more precisely where the problem is.

johnnyenglish_3-1680560860988.png

Good Luck

The Englishman

Thank you for the tips. I did get the usb ports to respond by unplugging the usb connector on the mb and using a different spot. Oddly though when I unplug the keyboard and immediately plug it back into the same port it doesn't come back on. It only comes on when the computer is re booted. I will investigate this further. As for the Qled's, the boot light stays orange. I have swapped out the ram sticks every which way possible, removed and reinstalled the gpu and cpu. I am thinking power supply or hard drive issue. In the meantime I will order a speaker. Thanks again!

Update. So I am a little embarrassed.  After tackling all the major issues such as cpu, gpu and MB, I didn't even think to remove all the peripherals. Turns out my son had 3 dongles plugged into USB ports that weren't even being used. I'm assuming they were from wireless headphones of past. Sure enough the pc booted when they were removed. Thanks again for taking the time to help!

That is very good to know.

We have a saying here where I live but it must be universal anyway.

"A material tem sempre razão"

Or:    "The hardware is always right"

The Englishman