cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ttvrobinbjk
Journeyman III

WHY THERE ARE NO STOCK OF 6800 SERIES ???

I HAVE BEEN USING AMD FOR MANY YEARS BUT I DECIDED TO GIVE IT UP NOW AS I HAVE BEEN WAITING SINCE NOVEMBER WHEN NEW SERIES OF 6800 XT TO COME OUT AND IT HAS BEEN 4 MONTHS AND STILL NO STOCK AVAILABLE YET !!! I WAITED FROM THE EXACT MINITUES OF THE SELLING DAY WHEN IT WAS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE IN WEBSITES BUT EVEN WHEN THE TIME WAS JUST RIGHT , I COULD NOT EVEN BUY A SINGLE GPU AND THEY WERE ALL GONE FROM THE MOMENT IT WAS AVAILABLE. WHY CAN'T AMD PUTS A LIMIT OF HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN BUY A GPU ? AND WHY THE HELL GPU'S ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES SO THAT WE COULD GO AND BUY .

AND ALSO IT WAS ANNOUNCED THE STARTING PRICE OF 6800 XT WAS FROM £649 - £780 BUT IN EVERY AVAILABLE WEB SITES LIKE EBUYER UK, SCAN, OVERCLOCKERS UK ,AMD UK , BOX UK ARE PRICED 6800XT FROM £840 - £999 !!!!

I MEAN WHAT THE HECK ? WHY IS IT OVERPRICED AND AMD KEEPS QUITE ABOUT ALL THIS SELLING SITES ? AND WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO BE ABLE TO PRODUCE ENOUGH GPU FOR CUSTOMERS ??? I THOUGHT THERE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE ENOUGH STOCK WHEN THE CEO OF AMD MADE A STATEMENT BUT THIS IS JUST A JOKE TBH.

I USED TO LOVE AMD FOR FAIR PRICE, RELIABLE AND GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE BUT NOW IT'S SO BAD THAT IT HAS BEEN 4 MONTHS SINCE THE NEW SERIES OF GPU COME OUT BUT STILL NO STOCK AVAILABLE !!!

I GAVE UP NOW AND NOT GOING TO CHASE WEB EVERY DAY ANY MORE TO FIND A 6800XT GPU. DECIDED TO BUY RTX 3090 .

3 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

Cards have been going in stock regularly since launch, but bought up immediately.  That's just the situation we live in right now. 

Demand is high, and the entire supply chain is severely hampered by the pandemic.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

If you can afford an RTX 3090., why not just get the cheaper (and faster in some respects) RX 6900 XT?

I mean as weird as it is... but they actually have been quite reasonably available since launch in December and they also haven't seen their prices skyrocket.

I'd have one myself, but I'm somewhat boycotting this Generation due to the ridiculous price inflation (and I'm talking the MSRP., not what they're ACTUALLY selling for right now; Market Price inflations have little to do with AMD, where-as the MSRP is almost exclusively set by them)

Generally speaking., it's common practise for "Next Gen" Hardware to be better value in terms of Performance per £... this generation has quite literally been a 0% Change; and I was already SERIOUSLY unhappy at the RX 5700 XT price point of £380 (which was reduced from their originally planned £420 MSRP) to "Compete with NVIDIA in Pricing"

Yeah, how about the fact that the RX 480 that it replaced (and was double the performance of) was £180 - 220... I'm sorry but you look at the previous generation; R9 380 to RX 480... that was a 42% Performance Uplift, at the same Price Point. 

And you go back down the line., and you'll see 35 - 50% Performance Uplifts either at the same or slightly Lower Price Points.
Where-as the past 3 Generations; we've seen decent performance uplift but the costs have scaled with the performance gain you're getting... and this has been over the past 5 years. 

I'm sorry but that just doesn't sit right with me.
Yes, NVIDIA do this all the time... but they're NVIDIA., that's what they do; it's what they've ALWAYS done. 

On top of that BOTH Companies have the ability to Restrict / Disable Blockchain Performance to prevent the current mass purchase by Miners; except, they aren't. Only NVIDIA is threatening to do it as part of a Driver Update, and even then ONLY on their new RTX 3060 - which is the same price and performance as the 2 year old RX 5700.

Neither AMD or NVIDIA have handled this generational release well... and frankly there's no point in a Graphics Card, no matter what boasting points either can make; if no one who the dang things are aimed at can even have a change to purchase - let alone the fact that we've had almost a year of Furlough, Closures, and Lockdowns due to a global sniffles (which would've been over with a smaller associated death had it been treated like the Common Cold / Flu., rather than like the Black Plague; allowing it to incubate and mutate the way it has) ... meaning A LOT of people are frankly struggling financially, and what do AMD/NVIDIA do; they release some of their most expensive cards ever.

Sure, you have LOTS of people rushing out getting them; because lots of places are closed and what else are they to spend their money on other than entertainment - but it's a FALSE Economy Boom., that within the next few months is going to crash (HARD) as lockdowns ease and furloughs are recanted; with many realising they simply no longer have a job to actually go back to; with said business' only remaining "Open" due to Government Subsidisation - and without such the capital needed to get back to a "Working" position simply isn't going to be there. 

It's all lunacy... 

0 Likes
Nekela
Adept III

There is a myriad of reasons. TSMC over sold its fab time and is also experiencing one of the worst droughts Taiwan has ever had so.... that has a huge hand in the shortage. The silicon for all AMD parts, PS5, Xbox, and all Apple products are made by tsmc. 

0 Likes