cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

doomcreeper
Adept III

When will the Vega 64 driver support end?

When will the RX Vega 64 driver support end?

0 Likes
12 Replies

Nobody knows except possibly Rick Bergman. There is precedent for driver support being ended after only a couple of years once a new architecture is released, as was the case with the HD 6000 series, but that's not going to happen here. The RX 5700 series is RNDA whereas the HD 7000-Vega are GCN, so AMD finally has a new architecture for the first time in 7 years. If I had to make an educated guess I'd say 2022. AMD still has to flesh out the rest of the RX 5000 series product line, with high end cards confirmed to not be arriving until this time next year, and the lower end cards releasing sometime between now and then, so AMD still has to support Vega for at least two more years when RDNA based cards have replaced the entire product stack from low end APUs to ultra high end Fire series professional cards.

Even my old HD 7870 has modern driver support, so I would suggest that a Vega 64 will be looked after for quite a while.

There is precedent for driver support being ended after only a couple of years once a new architecture is released, as was the case with the HD 6000 series, but that's not going to happen here. The RX 5700 series is RNDA whereas the HD 7000-Vega are GCN, so AMD finally has a new architecture for the first time in 7 years. krogerfeedback If I had to make an educated guess I'd say 2022.

I agree that with the new RDNA architecture but even the HD 6000 series work fine with Windows 10 but the more recent cards are more powerful and use a lot less power.

As for GCN cards, AMD will likely support them for a while to come if for no other reason is the install base is huge

As RNDA cards slowly take over then when the old cards are more likely to be EOL but AMD is already rebadging the Polaris cards as the RX 600 series so EOL is a long ways off.

Please do not start asking about when Vega 64 or 56 support will end.
More like when will RX Vega 64 support start.

I have a Vega 64 Liquid and a PowerColor Rx Vega 56 Red Dragon. I would say that those cards are still not properly supported. I just tried to install AMD Driver 19.8.2 after DDU uninstall today with both of those GPU in my PC System. RX Vega 64 Liquid Primary and RX Vega 56 Red Dragon secondary.

The AMD Driver didn't see both GPUs.
Only one Global Settings and one Global Wattman for both cards.
Also an interesting Green/Purple screen during AND after install.
Windows Control Panel saw both GPUs.

I eventually managed to get AMD Settings to see both GPUs by disabling and re-enabling the PowerColor RX Vega 56 in control panel.
There is no reason why that should be needed.

Funnily enough The GPUs are now installed with DX11 Crossfire Enabled and DX12 MultiGPU.
DX11 Crossfireis not supposed to be even supported or enable between Vega 64 and 56 last time I asked. 
Please leave it like it is now. I like being able to Crossfire these two GPUs.

I tested it anyhow and got brilliant results in 3D Mark Firestrike, FireStrike Extreme, FireStrike Ultra, Time Spy and pretty good results in Time Spy Extreme as well.

It is a real pity that AMD dropped DX11 Crossfire support since Vega 64. 3D Mark proves that lots of performance improvement is being wasted.

I tested BF1 DX11 Crossfire with the above RX Vega 64 / 56 combination at 4K Ultra and it runs and both GPUs are utilized.
There were no problems with screen flicker. I have still to check the Crossfire scaling.

DX12 MultiGPU - which is supposed to be supported in BF1 crashed at launch with an AMD Driver Error.

Brilliant.

0 Likes

At least they look nice:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Here is the Adrenalin 19.8.2 Driver error when I try to launch BFV DX12:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

BFV is often in the Origin forum with problems.

0 Likes

I have run BFV ~  once per week since December 2018 on Nvidia RTX 2080OC or Dual R9 Fury X in DX12.
It has been running o.k.

The above is AMD 19.8.2 Driver / Vega 64/56 issue.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

I have run BFV ~  once per week since December 2018 on Nvidia RTX 2080OC or Dual R9 Fury X in DX12.
It has been running o.k.

The above is AMD 19.8.2 Driver / Vega 64/56 issue.

Makes me wonder why the Vega 56 and 64 are not doing so well with games?

I suspect AMD is aware of the problem but god knows if they can fix it soon.

0 Likes

I found the cause of the crash.
That particular crash is down to use of ReShade in DX12 with that AMD Driver and those two GPU in DX12.

If I uninstall ReShade the game runs now.
I did not get that crash with Reshade last time I ran it with Nvidia GPU in DX12.

Other things are still broken.

Global FRTC is not honored.
Chill is performing as usual. Can't hit more than about 52 FPS with Chill on and keyboard only input.
Rapid mouse movement is causing very high FPS and power burn with Chill on.

If I take those issues out of the equation though, I am getting ~ 80-100 FPS BF1 DX12 Ultra now with those two GPU w/o ReShade installed.
That is not bad actually. A single RX Vega 64 Liquid cannot hit a consistent 54 FPS. 

I guess I should submit an AMD Reporting form but I really do not think DX12 MultiGPU will get much attention if at all.
I think it is alsmost as dead as DX11 Crossfire support.
It is a real pity because the RX Vega 64 Liquid and PowerColor Red Dragon Veag 56 are a pair of 2 slot GPUs andthey seem to work well.

You can see the 3D Mark Performance Numbers here: https://community.amd.com/thread/220404?messageTarget=all&start=200&mode=comments 

0 Likes

Reshade is not widely used which is probably the reason for issues/ DX12 problems are another issue.

0 Likes