cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

jasonamd
Adept II

When will AMD add HDMI Forum VRR support?

Now that there is an HDMI 2.1 OLED (LG C9/E9) available, I thought AMD would add their promised HDMI Forum VRR support like Xbox One X has.

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/hdmi_2_1_vrr_support_will_come_to_amd_radeon_rx_gpus_w...

37 Replies
howlinfantods
Adept I

Re: Any word on when AMD will add HDMI VRR support?

Hey, any update on this? I'd love to use VRR on my new TV. I know HDMI 2.1 isn't necessary because the Xbox One X can do it.

elstaci
MVP

Re: When will AMD add HDMI Forum VRR support?

Seems like, at least,  in Linux AMDGPU Driver it is included as per this article :

But according to this Reddit Thread, No AMD or Nvidia GPUs have come out with HDMI 2.1 which is the only type of connection to get VRR: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/blr5v7/amd_vrr_support/ 

Do not know how accurate these comments are concerning needing HDMI 2.1 for VRR to be enabled.

jdrobinson314
Challenger

If the linux driver got it, then there's a pretty good chance it's in the latest update for windows.

Vrr = freesync ! = vrr.

Basically vrr over hdmi is freesync to begin with but as far as hdmi is concerned it needs to be addressed specifically I guess.

If you have a vrr tv then it might be worth a look in the driver panel for a freesync toggle.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

You do need HDMI 2.1 to use VRR. XBOX ONE will be able to have HDMI 2.1 features via Firmware Update to be able to use VRR in the future according to this article from last year: The Xbox One X is the first device to support HDMI 2.1 - NotebookCheck.net News 

jasonamd
Adept II

Yeah, just so we are on same page. VRR includes FreeSync and HDMI Forum VRR. HDMI Forum VRR is a standard feature of HDMI 2.1 devices but is an optional feature which can be added to HDMI 2.0 devices (like was done with Xbox One X).

elstaci
MVP

Only if the device has some HDMI 2.1 features incorporated when it was manufactured. The XBOX One when it was built was built with some basic HDMI 2.1 electronics for future use.

Thus with a firmware update it is able to use those HDMI 2.1 features to enable VRR.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

DisplayPort has supported variable refresh rate displays such as my 4K LG panel fine

I have to use DisplayPort as HDMI is bandwidth starved in comparison

stella37
Journeyman III

AMD revealed that they are planning to add HDMI 2.1 VRR (variable refresh rate) support with an upcoming release of Radeon Software Adrenalin, the standard that will bring variable refresh rates to future Visit Site televisions. 

goodplay
MVP

Win10 1903 VRR, make sure to read all Dev. blogs.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..