cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Gary_Webb
Adept II

W6800 overheating during gameplay - a workaround.

I've posted before about my W6800 getting very hot at times and crashing during gaming. In Windows 10 that resulted in BSOD's, and in Windows 11 it just kills the signal to the monitor and the crashed machine continues to play the sound in the background. To me, it seems almost like the fan doesn't spin up as it should, but if I manually raise the minimum fan speed it does actually speed up. I had problems playing Cyberpunk 2077, GTAV, Forza Horizon 4, with the machine often crashing. I noticed the temperature was spiking during cutscene video especially, but at other times as well. The workaround for me is to manually set the fan to 2,000rpm minimum, and to make sure vsync is set to on. I've done that not only in the Radeon control panel, but in each individual game. For the last 4 days I've been playing a mix of games and not had a single crash. Temps are staying low - typically 55 - 65c. 60fps seems to keep the card from frying itself. Interestingly, I've had no crashing during rendering, in 3DS Max, Blender, etc, using Radeon Pro Render.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Maybe the GPU card needs a vBIOS update to get the fans to work correctly concerning the GPU Temperatures. @fsadough can help you to know what is happening.

0 Likes
Gary_Webb
Adept II

Ah well, the workaround didn't last long. Now back to random crashing. vBIOS version is 020.001.000.060, dated 2021/04/22 09:34. I've got the fan minimum speed running at 2800rpm, but GTA5 and Cyberpunk 2077 still crash out with the card being hot to touch. It hasn't crashed during rendering in 3D apps, such as Max, although I don't often use it as I prefer VRay, which doesn't support AMD, and Radeon ProRender isn't available for Max 2022. It also seems to not have a problem calculating 3D fractals in Mandelbulber, which uses OpenCL. Annoying thing is, I can't get any info on the crashes. BSOD's seem to happen so fast it doesn't even manage a memory dump, and the event viewer just notes the system shutdown unexpectedly. 

0 Likes