cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Feelsogood
Adept I

USB headers, PCIE slots suddenly stop working

I recently built a new computer with brand new, never been used before parts. After about 10 or so minutes of usage in the OS, the USB headers on the board and I/O stop working (i.e. some of the fans connected to the motherboard fan headers, keyboard, and mouse disconnect and will not reconnect), and the graphics card doesn't provide an output to the monitor. No bluescreen error occurs. However, the CPU fan itself and all the RGB lights remain on. Likewise, the lights on the LAN port indicate it's still functioning as well. All other components attached directly to the PSU itself remain on. The reset and power switches on the desktop case nor the reset switch on the motherboard itself will work when this issue occurs. The only way to turn off the computer is to flip the switch on the PSU itself.

After removing the graphics card and other devices, running the video output from the motherboard, running the bare minimum (motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, PSU, and OS boot drive), and updating all device drivers to most current date, the issue still occurs. I'm determining that this is either a processor or motherboard issue, but I have no real way to test with this with a different CPU/motherboard.

My specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600x

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M DS3H AM5 1.0 (BIOS version is F4c)

RAM: 2x16GB 5200MHz T-Force Vulcan DDR5 (it's base speed is around 4800MHz)

Case: Phanteks Eclipse G360A

Storage: 1 TB Seagate BarraCuda Q5 SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 (The boot drive)

2 TB Silicon Power NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 SSD

PSU: Thermaltake 80 PLUS Smart 700w

All components are running at the base clockage.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Feelsogood
Adept I

@Feelsogood wrote:

I recently built a new computer with brand new, never been used before parts. After about 10 or so minutes of usage in the OS, the USB headers on the board and I/O stop working (i.e. some of the fans connected to the motherboard fan headers, keyboard, and mouse disconnect and will not reconnect), and the graphics card doesn't provide an output to the monitor. No bluescreen error occurs. However, the CPU fan itself and all the RGB lights remain on. Likewise, the lights on the LAN port indicate it's still functioning as well. All other components attached directly to the PSU itself remain on. The reset and power switches on the desktop case nor the reset switch on the motherboard itself will work when this issue occurs. The only way to turn off the computer is to flip the switch on the PSU itself.

After removing the graphics card and other devices, running the video output from the motherboard, running the bare minimum (motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, PSU, and OS boot drive), and updating all device drivers to most current date, the issue still occurs. I'm determining that this is either a processor or motherboard issue, but I have no real way to test with this with a different CPU/motherboard.

My specs are:

A friend of mine just got an ASRock B650M Riptide mobo with a Ryzen 7700 processor today. We exchanged boards and sure enough the problem occured again even with different drives and chip on the Gigabyte B650M. Looks like I'm returning that motherboard. I wonder what was happening in the motherboard to cause this issue...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Feelsogood
Adept I

@Feelsogood wrote:

My specs are:

A friend of mine just got an ASRock B650M Riptide mobo with a Ryzen 7700 processor today. We exchanged boards and sure enough the problem occured again even with different drives and chip on the Gigabyte B650M. Looks like I'm returning that motherboard. I wonder what was happening in the motherboard to cause this issue...

You mean your processor worked fine on your friend's motherboard and your friend's processor in your motherboard there was no change in the issue?

Definitely a DOA motherboard.

Could be many reasons why the motherboard is defective from possibly defective chips on the motherboard to damaged that you can externally see or possibly a bad or corrupt BIOS installed.

Is the Motherboard still under the Retailer's Return Date or Warranty or are you going to use ASRock Warranty to RMA your motherboard?

If it is ASRock Warranty, do you need to pay to ship the DOA motherboard back to them to be RMAed?

NOTE: There is a new BIOS version that came out this year it is F4 while the previous BIOS version is F4c which I find strange: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-biosScreenshot 2023-01-30 155027.png

Yeah, my friend's ASRock mobo worked great with my parts installed while the issue still occured when he tested my Gigabyte mobo with his own supplies. I was gonna initially RMA the Gigabyte motherboard, but it's been about 15 days with no reply (let alone the support ticket status being changed to "read"). I just refunded it via Amazon.

Did Gigabyte really skip a BIOS version there? :0

It is faster and cheaper RMAing something back to Amazon then to ASRock.

I believe I remember reading ASRock's warranty once when I was thinking about purchasing one of their motherboards. I didn't like the fact that I need to pay out of pocket to send it it back for Warranty repair or replacement and other parts of the Warranty.

That is a image directly from ASRock Download page for your Motherboard. Seems like they skipped BIOS version F4, F4a, and F4b.

Really don't know if that is a misprint for the F4 BIOS version which should have been F5 instead.