cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Upgrade advice for my AM4 builds

I have been building with AMD since 2014 and I love the competition that it brings to the table now. Currently I have two systems on the AM4 platform, one sports the Ryzen 5 2600X with 16Gb of DDR4 3000mhz RAM, the other with a Ryzen 7 3700X and 32GB of DDR4 3200mhz RAM. I don't need to upgrade really but I still think about it on a regular basis. Zen 3 has proven to be amazing, and with the introduction of 3D v cache I am really tempted to pull the trigger in the next few months on a Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

On the other hand, I do know AM5 and Zen 4 are coming very soon. From what I understand it will require DDR5 which is very expensive relative to DDR4. Will there be AM5 motherboards that use DDR4 similar to the way Intel is handling the transition? From what I have seen, games that are out now rarely see a performance increase beyond margin of error when switching to the DDR5 platform from DDR4 versions of LGA1700.

The point of this thread is to start a conversation on what you expect to see whether games will take advantage of the faster speeds of DDR5 or if games will keep using DDR4 as the standard when they are optimizing performance. 

I would like to see AM5 socket DDR4 boards available for those of us who can't drop a couple hundred dollars on DDR5 modules. With that I would like to see how much of a performance gain can be had with DDR5 over DDR4 on the AM5 platform. 

What do you think? Thoughts on DDR5 pricing? How much should these increased frequencies improve performance in productivity applications as well as games? 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
5 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'll probably get a Ryzen 5700X or 5800X to replace my 2700X in the long run, but I'll wait till the AM5 comes to market to lower even more the prices of older AM4.

DDR5 should get cheaper at that time too but current prices is still high, but I reckon that high quality DDR4 is not that cheap too. A good set of B-Die 32Gb Corsair Vengeance is around 160-200€

The DDR4 kit I would like to buy is around 280€ (G.Skill Trident Z), the DDR5 equivalent (roughly) is 370€. But you can get G.Skill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR5 for 280€ and sub 200€ 32Gb DDR5 for Kingston Value Ram.

All things considered, I want to wait as my major weakness is the GPU right now.
We are slowly getting out of the chip shortage price hike madness, prices should go back soon to a more normal situation.

CPU prices seems ok though.

The Englishman
lowteck
Miniboss

You've got two decent rigs, I would wait.

You could just buy the 3D and put the 3700 in your 2600 rig.

But I would wait until the 3d gets down to msrp.

This darn AM4 platform!!!

THERE'S JUST NO END TO THE UPGRADING!!!!

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You make a good point. I will probably wait but I would like to see DDR4 AM5 boards so I don't have to pay for RAM again. 

I feel you on the GPU situation. I caved and bought my Gigabyte RX 6800 XT Gaming OC at double MSRP. I don't regret it but I see the models that have a better cooling solution selling in the $850 to $1000 range now. I saw a RX 6900 XT at MSRP a day or two ago. Still high price but it is MSRP. 

I don't know what die my RAM uses. It's Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x8GB DDR4 3200mhz. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
BillyAkinbredalik
Journeyman III

Better to go with something like this.

The 5600X is just simply not a good value CPU anymore. The 12400F just offers a lot more value for your money with similar performance for $110 less.

Also downgraded the SSD as the MP33 is still plenty fast and literally has the same performance in games as SSD speed really doesn't matter (yet).

Why would he want a 12400F?

He wants AMD not Intel trash..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes