cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ronyzmbow
Journeyman III

This is my first PC build - so bare with me

This is my first PC build - so bare with me, and I am so young anymore either...64

This PC is not for gaming just web browsing and some Photography work (Photoshop Elements and Lightroom) and some basic video editing. After doing some reading I have decided on the following components:

The CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac - ITX Mini
Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3000 MHz / PC4-24000 - CL15
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB
PSU - Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX gold 500w
Case - Sharkoon QB One

Is it a good a configuration?

I did some further reading and some new questions came along:

Motherboard - I saw some negative reviews on ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac - ITX Mini motherboard saying that the BIOS is not updated and their customer service being lousy. Are there better, and perhaps cheaper alternatives for this motherboard choice?

PSU - for the above configuration are there any other suggestions for SFX PSU? What would be the minimum WATTS configuration required?

BIOS update - I do not understand how to do the the BIOS update after building the PC? should it be connected to the Internet? Any simple tutorial?

Any other comments or advises are more than welcomed!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Go with an ASUS motherboard, they're of a higher quality than ASRock. You don't want to cheap out on the motherboard, so go with an ASUS B450 motherboard, which is out of the box compatible with Ryzen 2000. Normally I wouldn't suggest using non name brand PSUs, but the power draw of your machine will be quite low, so no need to change it. As for BIOS updates, most of the top brands, like ASUS, allow updating the BIOS from a USB drive from within BIOS itself.

0 Likes