cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

mush
Journeyman III

Switching to a vega 56 from rx570 do i need to uninstall my old drivers before I upgrade

Firstly hello I.m new, now as the title says do I need to uninstall the old RX drivers before I fit my new vega or am I ok to just replace the card and update from there on.

Not had anything to do with Pc's for over 10 years hence the noob question.

Thanks for any advice .............

0 Likes
2 Replies

Yes, if you upgrade your GPU Card it is best to uninstall the current old GPU Card drivers. Never know if the old GPU drivers might interfere with the new GPU Drivers even if they may both be compatible. Just to be on the safe side. I did noticed that the RX570 and VEGA56 Drivers seems to be identical as far as file size in the latest version. But this way you start with a clean slate in respects to any configurations you may had have with the old RX570.

Here is a basic method to install your new GPU card AMD Drivers:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

Here is the latest Vega56 AMD Driver : Radeon™ RX Vega 56 Drivers & Support | AMD 

Since the RX570 and VEGA56 seems to be the same driver. You can install the VEGA56 and once it boots up and is recognized and working then you can follow the above method to install the latest AMD Driver for the VEGA56.

mush
Journeyman III

Cheers for the info much appreciated

0 Likes