cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

scott_amd
Adept I

Snowy screen at Windows startup

When booting, screen is fine through UEFI boot. However, when it starts loading Windows, my screen turns snowy and starts slowly going in and out of being dark.

Once I unplug my video connection and plug back in, all is fine. After uninstalling drivers and restarting, no problem. I have even tried rolling back a version. Seems this only occurs when the AMD software/specific drivers are installed, which automatically gets installed after a restart.

Any suggestions?

My setup:

Windows 10 x64 Pro 1709

NVMe Samsung EVO 960 SSD

32GB RAM

GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P mobo (UEFI boot)

Radeon RX550 2GB discrete graphics card

AMD driver: 23.20.15033.5003, dated 3/22/18

Connected monitor: 4k Sharp TV via HDMI to DP (adapter)

Scott

0 Likes
1 Solution

"" which automatically gets installed after a restart. "" Thanks to Windows 10.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

4. Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

View solution in original post

6 Replies

"" which automatically gets installed after a restart. "" Thanks to Windows 10.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

4. Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

This seems to have worked, thanks. I'll select 'Correct Answer' after a weeks or so with no further issues.

Glad you got it sorted out...

0 Likes
dancer42
Adept II

another thing to be aware of is that unless you restart in safe mode windows hides broken drivers from you but gets confused sometimes about which is the working driver and will keep installing what it thinks is the right one, so with any driver problem that won't stay fixed, it is a good idea to reboot to safe mode to see what is there.

0 Likes

Thanks, dancer42​. I'll check into this if I experience the issue again. So far, several boots later, no snowy screen.

0 Likes

And if the incorrect driver is installed how does one prevent Windows 10 from installing the incorrect one?

0 Likes