cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

tenzo23
Elite

Should I Upgrade to Windows 11 or wait?

My PC meets all the requirements and I have the green light to upgrade in Windows Update, but I've been putting it off because I read there were slowdowns with Ryzen CPUs and also SSDs.

Have these been resolved and are there any other issues I should be worried about? I'm perfectly fine staying with Windows 10, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits upgrading to Win 11.

/sig Fun guy.
1 Solution

Windows 11 has been out of beta for quite some time.

MS has already announced support end date for Win 10 (October 14, 2025).

Windows 10 Home and Pro - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Docs

Having said that, unless you can find some burning need to upgrade, don't.

Win 10 is remarkably stable now and even though Win 11 is public release, there are still teething issues popping up.

Edit - part of the issue I see with Win 11 is not Win 11 itself but the way MS is pushing out updates for Win 11 that are negatively impacting Win 10.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I would wait till full release since 11 is still in Beta Testing.

Remember if it isn't broke don't fix it. If your PC is working fine just wait till full release of 11 and Microsoft announces its support drop off date for 10.

What I'm doing is pricing and playing the market for my next core component upgrade which with what I already have will just be a newer MOBO CPU and RAM.

Windows 11 has been out of beta for quite some time.

MS has already announced support end date for Win 10 (October 14, 2025).

Windows 10 Home and Pro - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Docs

Having said that, unless you can find some burning need to upgrade, don't.

Win 10 is remarkably stable now and even though Win 11 is public release, there are still teething issues popping up.

Edit - part of the issue I see with Win 11 is not Win 11 itself but the way MS is pushing out updates for Win 11 that are negatively impacting Win 10.

Lots of people are using it free of problems but there are still lots of reading material that say otherwise.

In the main rig I'm staying on Windows 10, but I'm trying 11 on the laptop to feel the mood.

https://hothardware.com/news/bugs-in-ryzen-ftpm-reportedly-tanking-windows-11-performance?fbclid=IwA...

The Englishman

Hey guys i need to know that I have corei7-7th gene with 8GB DDR 3 Ram Currently my laptop run windows 10 but sometime my disk usage increase to 100%...Ibut on the other hand with the same spec my friend have he run Windows 11 how that possible?

0 Likes

Wait. Microsoft supports Windows 10 until Oct. 14, 2025

iLloydski
Adept I

If your current system is fine then wait, but if there are some weird issues like micro-stuttering or freezes that you couldn't be bother figuring out or have tried everything but still persist, just as in my case for years and years on so i upgraded and it all went away but i now i have with the OS bugs that i can manage. i'd still like to go back to Winblows10 but even on a fresh install and all, i still get this issue i couldn't figure out for the life of me.

Ryzen 3900, Asus x570-f, Asus gtx1080

hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

I updated all eligible machines to 11 when it was first offered, however, for some reason the upgrade feature would never work for me so I clean installed all of them and don't regret it one bit.  My pc's are running the fastest they ever have and the sleep function actually works on my x570 board with W11.

The main difference, in my opinion, between Windows 10 and Windows 11 is that Windows 11 is supposed to be much more secured against virus and malwares than Windows 10 since you need to enable Secure Boot as a condition to enabling Windows 11 on your PC and also enabling TPM.  Both are security features for the PC.

Also Windows 11 has a new revamp GUI and better looking updated graphics than Windows 10.

Windows 11 did have the Ryzen bug when it first came out, but both AMD & Microsoft via Windows Updates and AMD Chipset Drivers fixed the Ryzen flaw.

But if you are not in any hurry and you don't mind using Windows 10 then you can wait like a year's time to give Microsoft a chance to get all the kinks out of Windows 11 to make more stable then it is at the moment.

All the security features in Win 11 can be enabled in Win 10 incl secure boot and TPM.

As for the GUI, well, that is user preference

True but Windows 11 itself has security features that Windows 10 doesn't, beside using the security features from Secure Boot and TPM.

That is why Microsoft is saying to upgrade because the OS itself is designed to be more secure than Windows 10.  Windows 11 Operating System itself is supposed to be more secure against attacks and infections from viruses and malware.

The GUI and the updated Graphics a User can't really change since that is built into Windows 11. The same way you can't change the GUI and graphics in Windows 10.

I imagine a User might be able to do some tweaks to change some aspects of  Windows 11 but I haven't read anything about being able to change the basic GUI of Windows 11.

Mariospants
Adept I

I've been running Windows 11 on 3 different machines and it's been fairly okay on all of them but for my main desktop (it's a Ryzen processor, but that's got nothing to do with my issues).

While crashes and issues have occurred with less and less frequency, one thing that still bugs me is file manager (explorer) performance. This is not as apparent on my SSDs, but on my 2TB mechanical drive, there is something with the cache going on or some bug that occasionally makes directory reads hang for a couple of seconds. There's no rhyme or reason (the folder can be full of documents or relatively empty) or its location in the file tree. This never happened on Windows 10 and taking the drive and plugging it into a Windows 10 PC using a USB tether proved (to me, at least) that it was a Windows 11 issue.

If you can put up with occasional mishaps like this, go ahead, if you like. I don't think, however, that you're going to find much difference in the experience.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | Rog STRIX x570-I Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz ram (Team) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (11GB GDDR6) | 1TB Intel NVME | 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | Seagate 2TB internal |
Samsung 4k monitor | 21" Huion drawing table