cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Damunfox
Adept I

Scaling Mouse Pointer causing large FPS drops with Radeon 7900xtx

As the title says, any time I try to scale up my mouse pointer, even from windows settings. My frame rate takes about a 20~25% fps drop, in game scaling results in the same issue.

Currently with
Windows 11 (same issue persisted on Windows 10 as well)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950x

64 Gigs of Gskill Trident Neo 6000mhz ddr5

AMD Radeon 7900xtx sapphire reference card

Asus Prime x670-P motherboard

This wasn't really an issue when I had a nVidia GPU

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

In windows display settings set display scaling from default or recommended 150% or 300% to thats right 100%. Next set your resolution correctly refresh rate and resolution you are certain your display can do in a bit depths you are certain it can do like 8bit rgb 60hz you can try for 120 later it maybe your cables or monitor not accepting that resolution on that port. Then at your preferred desktop gaming res. Starting from mouse settings in windows adjust the mouse speed up a bit and your mouse maybe had a app for its sensitivity and dpi in more detail. You must use enhanced sync and vsync on in game or disable all vsync off in game menu and enhanced sync off. Your mouse and its apps using hardware is maybe calibrated or app coded for 60hz. Make a text file and type in for mouse cursor mouse pointer H/w hardware rename to settings.ini test. Make certain AA is disabled or change the antialiasing method. Disable all overlays. Try mouse usb in different usb port front or back. Try not changing cursor size but cursor icon and then cursor appearance theme some mouse pointers are just big like a shovel vs smaller cheese knives. Try settings in browser edge://flags or in the system and performance tab of edge browser. Sometimes your video or media player or screen draw method maybe blocking the mouse. Is it full-screen exclusive and which rendered? Wmvr7 like nvidia defaults windows 98 or vista defaults EVR or custom software rendered like madshi VR or an very obsolete open gl ? Using direct3d11 or 12 to render is it drawing additional overlay data like rainmeter other metrics? Tried disable XMP or reset defaults?

0 Likes
Damunfox
Adept I

It's DX11 and DX12 games that have this issue. Outside of games it doesn't drop fps, only when in game. In windows there's no framerate drops, and only when the pointer is scaled, leaving the UI at 100% or 150% has no impact on this. I have tried turning vsync off with the driver software and in games, it still makes no difference. This only seems to be an issue where a mouse pointer isn't a software one. Diablo 4 and Final Fantasy XIV are the biggest ones I play with mouse pointers and they exhibit this issue. I've made certain that there are no overlays active.

Disabling EXPO only hurts my performance more considering I'm on an AMD Ryzen 9 7950x

0 Likes