cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

SATA cards

Looking over B550 boards I see that they mostly come with a measly 4 SATA ports.

This has been a long standing problem so I have long had SATA cards galore.

4 port cards are very low cost, 8 port cards are all over the dial. I have one with a port expander chip on it to reduce the need for another PCIe lane.

Another problem is gimmicked slots, can the southbridge be so cheap. Am I am unreasonable to want to put a device in a slot. I use a PCIe card for WiFi. new standard, i can yank the card and replace it. My X570 cannot use all of the slots, which is stupid, all that is needed is to deploy another lane on the crossbar.

The SATA card is below the RTX 2080 and a blue SATA cable is present to connect a DVD drive. I have 6 front panel bay so I could install 6 BD drives. Overkill but I have lots of hard disks, if you saw my steam library you would understand.

PCI EXPRESS SATA CARDS – HARDCORE GAMES™ 

5 Replies

Well this is 2020, not 1999, and unless your Steam library encompasses the entirety of Steam, I find it extremely hard to believe that you would need more than a single drive, or two if you use RAID1 for protection, or three for RAID0+1, considering very few games take 50GB of space and even fewer exceed that. If that's not big enough, WD has a 18TB drive about to hit the shelves, and drives from both Seagate and WD using HAMR and MAMR technology will soon see the light of day with 20TB and more of capacity.

Oh, and making posts directing people to a site owned by you is still against the terms of service.

0 Likes

I do not use RAID, I use JBOD. I have one machine I use for backups. It also has a SATA card so I can install more hard disks.

Right now there is a big flap over these drive managed shingled disks. It has led a distrust of the industry and the price of hard disks has fallen because of it.

I have also seen M.2 SSD products fall in price recently. Again. I use them mostly for operating systems.

0 Likes

Hey I still have 3 hard drives an SSD and my m.2 drive, in my gaming rig. I appreciate having at least 6 ports. Especially when often using an nvme drive means you lose one or two of your sata ports. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Hey I still have 3 hard drives an SSD and my m.2 drive, in my gaming rig. I appreciate having at least 6 ports. Especially when often using an nvme drive means you lose one or two of your sata ports. 

Or worse, on my X570 I lose a slot

Found another idea

0 Likes