Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hawkx
Journeyman III

Samsung NVMe M.2 970 EVO Plus Not Detected

Hi all,

Recently built a tower but the M.2 SSD is not being detected at all. I have tried resetting CMOS, deactivated CMS and cleared Secure Keys, tried auto, x2 and x4 options but nothing has worked. Brand new x470 Prime Pro with most up to date BIOS version also. HDD works fine but I want to install Windows onto the SSD (the HDD was not connected when trying to install on initial boot).

I have search but to no avail. Any suggestions appreciated. Have also seen posts stating that their SSD was a dud and had to be returned, is this common and likely to be the same issue as mine?

MOBO: Asus x470 Prime Pro

SSD: Samsung NVMe M.2 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Many thanks.

0 Likes
5 Replies
cryomanncer
Journeyman III

Did you ever get it fixed because from the pictures you were only looking at your sata connections. your NVMe drive will show in a completely different drive list in your bios. im guessing your OS is on your non NVMe SSD which means go into windows go to drive manager, once there there will be a drive that has a black bar instead of a blue one like your SSD will have. right click the drive and run the setup wizard for it and just use all the stock values unless u want to add more partitions or change other things but for most the generic wizard settings are fine. after setup is done you should be able to see the 970 evo.

If that doe not work then i would check for a BIOS update for your board and make sure your running the latest version because i know they have been doing NVMe compatibility updates for most boards 

0 Likes

I also have a similar and strange if I may add issue:

I have Asus Crosshair VII Hero mobo (x470) and I also have a Samsung SSD 850 Pro, 2 x WD Raptors in RAID 0 and an M.2 disk I want to use it for an adittional drive and somewhere in future it will replace the RAID scheme.

The problem I encountered is that after I loaded the sata drivers in the windows installation mode (M.2 was recognised ok) I entered in windows and I was able to watch all the disks in disk management. My problem started when I installed either the chipset driver (Version 2.04.04.111) OR the AMD Raid driver (Version 9.3.0.38), I can't remember exactly which one, but after the system restarted, I couldn't find the M.2!

I thought at that time to continue with the installation of my other programs and games and now 3 days later, I have finished the customization I wanted to have and no M.2 in the windows... I think something caused from the AMD drivers and made the Windows Storage Controller "Stantard NVM Express Controller" go away the minute I restart my PC.

Now I feel like a fool to do all the work again in order to figure out a way to solve this...

0 Likes

I have in Intel 660p SSD and I install it but no disks are connected and Windows 10 sees it with the BIOS in MBR or UEFI mode just fine, I use secure boot as well 

I use an X570 board which runs Ryzen 3000 series processors very well

0 Likes
oldar
Adept II

Ok I am almost sure that something wrong is going on with these AMD drivers.

Not only when I installed the chipset and Raid Sata drivers I stopped watch my M.2 in windows 10, I tried to reinstall both of them in Normal and in Safe Mode, in RAID and in AHCI mode. Nothing worked.

When I tried to unistall them in Safe and Normal mode from my windows apps menu, when I press "Unistall" a message warns me "No unistallable drivers found". Only the AMD GPU drivers I can unistall succesful...

0 Likes
oldar
Adept II

Ok, I think I find out what causing this problem.

First of all I guess you installed the latest mobo and SSD Drivers from AMD site right?

Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset Drivers Version 2.04.04.111

RAID, SSD, MVMe Drivers: AMD RAID Drivers Version 9.3.0.38

If those are correct, as I have similar system myself and I encountered the same problem as you, at least in my case I found out that the main reason why I could not see my M.2 when I was logged in windows was a setting from mobo. When I set MVMe RAID Mode Enable, then and only then I managed to see my disk in windows.

The thing is that disk with these drivers is causing blue screen frequently and I am one step closer to unistall it at least for the time being from my system.

Now, after about 4 clean window installs, I know that it is a driver issue but what makes me wonder is that before I do format (about a week ago), with those drivers and with MVMe RAID Mode setting in mobo Disable, I was able to see the disk and I had no problems at all... After the clean install everything has been messed up with these drivers and I do not know if I install previous drivers (and which?) I will have a stable system again...

I hope I helped you.

0 Likes