cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Rational
Journeyman III

Samsung Neo G7 32"-HDR not working when AMD Freesync premium pro is turned ON sapphire nitro+7900XTX

I have just purchased the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32" and I am having problems running HDR with AMD Freeync premium pro.
Problem 1 - HDR not working when AMD Freesync premium pro is turned ON
Problem 2 - videos are stuttering a lot on apps like netflix and amazon prime video if the freesync is ON.
I don't want turn it ON/OFF manually every time it should work fine with freesync ON.
Not sure why this is causing a lot of problems wherein freesync premium pro should have full HDR support and no stuttering in videos.

Latest firmware drivers installed for Monitor - 1007.0
GPU drivers latest - Adrenalin 23.9.3 (WHQL Recommended)
Windows 11 up to date with all the latest updates installed.
It's not just the games, if free sync premium pro is turned on I can't even watch HDR content since the brightness becomes too low, it affects my desktop HDR brightness as well but not the SDR brightness.
SDR brightness is all good with freesync premium turned ON.

I tried CRU it worked for me like 5 mins, deleted the freesync range and added it again but it was very unstable and my monitor display was turning ON/OFF plus it was going completely haywire and was showing just one color on the screen and then reset back on its own, so had to reset the CRU.

I have tried reinstalling display drivers by DDU, checking everything with 3 different cable (2 HDMI 2.1 and 1 DP) still both the problems are there, have reset my monitor multiple times to default settings as well. Both MY HDMI 2.1 cable are certified cable and DP came with the monitor itself.
I have tested with all the local dimming modes, usually I set it to high for HDR content.
Auto, low, high and even on OFF the brightness is just not there and everything looks too black.
Until a couple days ago it was working fine on my 2070 with adaptive sync ON and is not after upgrading it to 7900 XTX it works fine when I turn off AMD freesync premium pro.

Everything is at factory default settings- Monitor, Display drviers (Vsync OFF) and nothing changed in windows settings.

Tried with Rtings ICC profile as well and created multiple ICC profiles and checked, nothing seems to be working.

Sytem Specs - 7800X3D | Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 XTX | Asus B650E-F | Odyssey Neo G7 32" | 32 gigs CL32 38-38-96 DDR6 @6000 mhz | Deepcool AK620 | Thermaltake GF3 1000w

AMD claims -
patchnotes for 23.9.2 mentions:

Fixed Issues - Display may not reach correct brightness with certain games on select SAMSUNG™ FreeSync Premium Pro monitors or TVs with local dimming setting enabled.​

0 Likes
1 Reply

From what I understand Freesync Premium Pro is the problem, and you need to downgrade the FreeSync Hz range in CRU to make the monitor be treated as Premium, and not Premium Pro.

I don't have any experience with a G7, but on a Neo G9 changing the FreeSync range to 48hz-175hz has been rock solid and instantly fixed the dark output.  What range did you change it to?  Did you run the restart executable after making the change?  Also remember you will have to make the changes every time the driver is updated until AMD fixes it, or it will revert to Premium Pro.   Hope you find a working solution.    

0 Likes