I built a system over the last few months:

Windows 10 pro 64bit

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

MSI radeon rx 6800 gaming x trio 16gb

Gigabyte x579 Aorus Ultra bios: f33c

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb ddr4

Corsair icure H150i liquid cpu cooler

Corsair AX1200i PSU

3x ASUS VP28U  (28" 4k monitors, connected using displayport)

I have not overclocked anything, and am using the latest video drivers and motherboard chipset drivers (off amd.com), all my windows updates are up to date and I'm not on the fast ring.

When I play valheim, after 15 to 45 minutes of game play, my system will reboot. Often only recognizing one display on reboot, and sometimes the bios is not happy.

My expectation is that when something is not happy, it would simply crash the game and not the whole PC. 

I've tried AMD Ryzen 5000x and spontaneous reboots - AMD Community and the game lasts a little longer before rebooting.

I've tried Solved: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting... - AMD Community and the game lasts a while before rebooting.

I have not had this issue in any other games (as of yet), including: ARMA3, Deep Rock Galactic, Company of Heros 2, Conan Exiles, Astroneer, Desonate, Death Stranding, Necropolis, Stellaris, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

0 Likes
6 Replies
lyme
Adept I

Hmm.. after much testing with different settings, I pulled my 6800 xt and replaced it with a 5700 xt. Played for over a hour today with no issue, which is promising. 

Will play longer later to confirm that it is stable. If it is, that would point at an issue with the 6800 xt and this game, as I haven't had issues in any other game.

As an aside, I previously was trying to run both the MSI 6800 xt and MSI 5700 xt at the same time in the same system, and it exhibited the same freeze(with sound playing for a couple seconds more)/reboot/not detecting monitors. 

0 Likes
Nikey2
Journeyman III

@lyme 

can you tell me please the way you delete and install the driver after replace the 6800 XT with the 5700 XT?

Maybe I´m doing something in a wrong way... THX

0 Likes
Nikey2
Journeyman III

My system:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
MSI B450M PRO-VDH Max
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5500 XT 4GB
Windows 10 Home 64bit

I have exactly the same problem since two days and I tried everything. 
The computer is three days old, so I installed all windows updates, installed the latest Radeon software, deleted all old drivers with DDU and reset while installing the Radeon software. All Mainboard drivers are the latest and no overclocking or something. Only Windows, Discord, Steam and Valheim. It still doesnt work after trying and trying and trying......... 

0 Likes

When replacing one AMD card with another, you don't need to reinstall drivers.

0 Likes

We have done stress tests using AIDA x64 and run it on CPU, FPU, Cache, memory and GPU at the same time for 20 mins both on my CPU and twice on his CPU.

NOTE: You can use AIDA 64 for free and do a stability test, but be adivsed that this will place an excessive load on the components and also introduces spikes on the CPU and GPU. Use at your own discretion.

The only thing I can think of other than that would be to remove all the ticked items in the graphic settings in Valheim and the  run the game and place items on after 15 mins. My brother also noticed that this would happen more often when on a ship in the water.

We are still in the process of testing and will do another stress test prior to loading Valheim again.

0 Likes
JJU
Journeyman III

I had similair problem with Deus ex mandkind divided with nearly identical specs. I managed to increase stability by raising CPU vcore offset slightly (0.065v in my case). Fiddling with curve optimizer or other motherboard settings might give better results with less overall heat output increase.

I RMAed my 5800x instead of my x570 Aorus Ultra, because my older Asus x470 Prime had similair problems. Game crashed to desktop instead of freeze -> reboot but swapping to my old 3800x made the game rockstable on both motherboards.

For troubleshooting I used my backup rx570 and 2 kits of gskill flarex 3200cl14 running both kits separatly without xmp enabled.

0 Likes